What Ive Learned From Working As A Teller

CherryPickinTeller

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I've Learned From Working As A Teller

Okay, so I have worked at Td Bank for three years and I just thought I would fill you all in on what I've learned. (Besides the fact that Td Bank sucks)

I've gone through thousands and thousands of rolls while working and heres my analysis:

We would all buy boxes of Q's D's N's & P's from the main vault and take them out of the box and put them in trays and then into our own coin vault. The first year I worked there we had clear rolls and it was basically like taking candy from a baby. Silver Quarters and Dimes in every box, most times there were a few. They are both still out there, tons of them. I would estimate that me and one of my friends who was a teller found over 500 Quarters that year (2010) and about 700 Dimes. I don't understand why people don't do quarters because they really are out thee still. Unfortunately, I didn't collect nickels at this time and probably would have found a plethora of them.

The following two years we switched to paper wrapped rolls and the silver game stalled. I still managed to find over 100 Silver Quarters and Dimes just by putting rolls onto my teller tray over those two years. Yes, Quarters are still out there.

Halves were rare. Only finding Silvers in the Penny Arcade machine and having to swap them out with clad ones. Over the three years me and the only other teller who looked have found over 150 90% halves and about 200 40% halves.

But let me tell you a little secret for finding the Silver Quarters. Open up a Td account and use their Penny Arcade machine. Even if you don't dump there, just bring in a few bucks worth of coin and use the machine once a day at a random time (usually between midday and end of the day) and check the reject tube. I have found over 1000 Quarters with my other teller just by checking the reject tube a few times a day.

Another trick is to make the machine run again after all your coins are counted and see if you hear anything spinning around inside still. Tons of people throw IKEs in not knowing it doesn't take them. If you hear something, just call a teller over and let them know you put one in by accident and they'll open up the machine for you. Even bring an IKE every time and throw it in just to have them open the machine and see if you find anything that couldn't make it out of the reject. I've even found Peace dollars in the machine!

Lastly I just want to tell you all about dumping your coin. I know all tellers are not the same but heres what I realize. We have three CRH's who dump at our branch. One guy comes in, doesn't ever bring in any treats for us for helping him all the time, but he is always respectful if we have long lines and always chats with us and is the friendliest person ever. He even gave me an old red-book guide and an old jewelers loupe he had. He is the guy that I would stop everything I am doing to go help, just because he is the nicest guy consistently every time he comes in. Another guy comes in and complains when theres long lines and we cant help him and he's always rude. Yet he brings in treats all the time. But he still acts like an A$$ and I try and stall with my customers just to piss him off more and make him wait longer.
So just be a nice person and talk with tellers and be friendly. No need for treats, just be a friend. I even give the nice guy some silver I find. Try and get a guy teller, girls hate having to carry bags.

So, go search Quarters because they are out there, and be a nice person when you're dumping

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never found US silver in a Penny Arcade reject tube in my area and I've been dumping at TDs for well over a year now, sometimes multiple times a week. I'm wondering if the machines are different in different parts of the country?

On a side note I will sometimes spot 40% halves in the halves bag and the teller has always allowed me to trade clad halves for the silvers halves.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found US silver in a Penny Arcade reject tube in my area and I've been dumping at TDs for well over a year now, sometimes multiple times a week. I'm wondering if the machines are different in different parts of the country?

On a side note I will sometimes spot 40% halves in the halves bag and the teller has always allowed me to trade clad halves for the silvers halves.

I would take the deal to switch out silver halves over the occassional reject tray find.

Of the several TDs I go to, only one branch has given up silvers in the reject tray. I don't know what the deal is with this one branch; maybe it is the neighborhood (more residential than others and a fair number of older people).

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CherryPicknTeller,
This is great info! So when you had access to clear wrapped courier rolls, how did you go about extracting the silver? Did you do it without destroying the plastic roll?

Thanks for the insight.
OO

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found silver a few times in a td reject tube however i know the machines around my parts do not reject silver. I have traded clad halves for walkers, bens, 1964s, and 40% halves. they all went threw the penny arcade fine. I remember a member on here who was buying boxes of dimes ripping them open quickly and dumping them threw the penny arcade so it would reject the silver ones and save him time. NOT a good idea as most will not get rejected.

Teller i am shocked at your silver quarter finds. I have searched around 10 boxes and found 3 total, 2 of which came from the same box in the same roll 3 rolls into the box. Talk about a tease lol. I'm thinking about driving around next week and trying to pick up 3k in just customer wrapped quarters only. Should be easy , there are a lot of banks in my area.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do td bank tellers generally make/start out per hour? I am curious. :)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Most make minimum wage, especially at banks that rotate them around (one person works, gone a week later). credit unions actually pay their tellers alright ($15/hour) but in general most banks, $7.25/hour.
Credit unions in general do not pay better.
The tellers at CU's in Mich make on average $11 an hour, with an average seniority of 10 years. Starting pay averages $8. My wife has has close to 20 years experience at CU's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread