Are nifc halves worth keeping

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this to begin with to kinda ask if people often get boxes of 100 or so NIFC halves. In had never had a box with so many shiny half dollars very few marked ones and no silver. Just seemed odd to me in my small sampling up to this point

No long ago I got an entire box of 2001 Uncirculateds.. Was exactly like getting a box of 2012 pennies. Oddest thing I ever saw.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this to begin with to kinda ask if people often get boxes of 100 or so NIFC halves. In had never had a box with so many shiny half dollars very few marked ones and no silver. Just seemed odd to me in my small sampling up to this point

It surprising happens. At some point multiple rolls of newer NIFC get dumped in. One week a couple of months ago I had a bunch of 2002's & 2007's in a run of boxes. Another week it was a bunch of 2009's. Another week a ton of BU 1976's, and even though they're not NIFC they're older than me and were BU. Haha

You can get funny runs like than sometimes. Either a collector dumps a solid roll of those or the coin provider received boxes from the FED and mixed them in their supply.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last four Loomis boxes have had an increased amount of NIFC 2002-2010. This has also coincided with an increased amount of silver. 7 40% Kens and 1 90% Ken in three boxes. The fourth box had 17 NIFCs, including 16 2010s.

OP
OP
drcaulfield

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya i was not as fortunate to have silver in mine just over 100 NIFC's. was odd. Usually have one or two. 2002-2010.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep them. I am planning on putting some out at auction rather soon. The local Friday auction old people pay stupid prices for coins. $1 for a BU 1970 penny? I have tons of those in my copper hoard, which I plan on going through and separating out the BU's to sell.

Clad ikes? They go for $2-$3 ea there. I have almost 100 of them to put into coin cards and label.

Proof Halves, tons of those too, about 30 to put into cards for auction, those fetch $2-$3 ea as well.

Proof Nickels, only 2.

Yep.. they can be worth more than $0.50 ea.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep them. I am planning on putting some out at auction rather soon. The local Friday auction old people pay stupid prices for coins. $1 for a BU 1970 penny? I have tons of those in my copper hoard, which I plan on going through and separating out the BU's to sell.

I would pay $1 for a 1970 penny, if it's British. I would not pay $1 for a 1970 cent, unless it's the 1970-S small date.

jgleaves

Greenie
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just popped open a $500 box of halves. Appears every roll are NIFC 2021 coins.

Never seen shinier coins than this. d mint mark.

FYI

Reactions: ARC

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
For most, NIFC halves are worth no more than fifty cents. Most of the time I tend to agree.

There are exceptions. Errors, varieties, mint state. All have value to the right collector. The important thing is to learn what collectors may have an interest in.

Granted, even when you find the right collector, the premium may be lower than you would like.

Time for more coffee.

Reactions: ARC

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One box of halves I got last year are all uncirculated 2022, so I kept that box

Top Member Reactions