ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have debated this several times on this forum. Use the search feature to seek out these discussions and you'll find very good arguments on both sides of the debate. Also, 2001 was not NIFC. Those started in 2002.

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I say keep the 2002-2010s...if you "COLLECT". They are going to be worth more than .50 in the future esp if they are in VERY GOOD condition. If they look circulated, dump em, if they look new or only have minor blemishes, keep em! That is unless you have limited funds, then dump the worst of each of the years and keep only one of each year/mint for your collection...just my opinion

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say keep the 2002-2010s...if you "COLLECT". They are going to be worth more than .50 in the future...

My only question is when and why will they increase in value? The 1987 half is also NIFC. That coin is now 26 years old and still has no real collector value.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about 200+ '87 P & D's all in ch/gem BU? I got them all in 2 boxes a whole back. They are all bright, fresh off the press. Any value there?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all the NIFCs I find because I don't find a whole lot of them. I have started spending the 2002 - present halves since I have nicer ones in my coin folder, but I still keep proofs and '87s.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about 200+ '87 P & D's all in ch/gem BU? I got them all in 2 boxes a whole back. They are all bright, fresh off the press. Any value there?

If you can find a buyer willing to pay enough over face value when you try to sell, then they have value. The same can be said for 200 beat up bicentennials, a jar of ear wax, and a box of used paper towels. I once saw a quart sized Ziploc bag full of "Genuine Arkansas dirt" sell for ~$10 if I remember correctly.

Anything can have value, if you can find a buyer willing to pay. But, I'd be willing to bet that - generally speaking - 200 gem BU 1987's would bring no more money than 200 gem BU 1986's or 1988's.

If 100 different people tried to sell a lot of 200 gem BU 1987's, I'd speculate that some would realize a decent profit while many couldn't sell theirs over face value. To the ones able to sell for a profit, the 1987's would have had "value", and been a complete waste of time and trouble for the others that couldn't.

I might find someone willing to pay me $20 for a roll of average condition bicentennial halves...and I have VERY occasionally seen them sell for this amount on ebay. Does that mean everyone should save all their bicentennials?

"Should I save these?" (where "these" can be anything) is really an unanswerable question. The best answer I can come up with is, "Maybe." When it comes to NIFC halves, I just don't see the market ever getting to the point where anyone and everyone with NIFC halves for sale will be able to sell them for a profit.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will always argue that non- silver "nifc's" are worth face value ! (unless you have a major mint error ) .

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

none of the BU rolls post 2000 I have gotten from a bank looked quite that nice

its all speculation, they might be worth it, they might not be worth wasting your space or explaining to friends and family why you have a hoard of change. Personally, its not worth it to me making 20 or 30 bucks keeping something locked away for 35 years. I can make twice that in half the time spent on writing an eBay ad at a decent job.

I say keep the 2002-2010s...if you "COLLECT".
I think there can be a fine line between collecting, and obsessive hoarding, and some are teetering quite close to that ledge....I suspect many raccoon-like tendencies around here. I ''COLLECT'' because I have a binder full of silver attempting one of each year and mint for US silver after the mid/late 1800s. That doesnt mean I have 5 gallon buckets full of cents pre 1982.

everyones different.

OP
OP
drcaulfield

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
I just asked because they carry the label NIFC. People don't refer to them as just clad. For me at least it was more of a space issue and not so much tying up my bankroll. It's only 100$ or so. Just didn't want to fill my closet with more stuff.

OP
OP
drcaulfield

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
I have also found that being a CRH in Michigan I have turned more of my change into Canadian coin than silver coin :)

OP
OP
drcaulfield

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this to begin with to kinda ask if people often get boxes of 100 or so NIFC halves. In had never had a box with so many shiny half dollars very few marked ones and no silver. Just seemed odd to me in my small sampling up to this point

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread