$16000 in Halves...found my first keeper!

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good gawd... maybe try mixing things up a bit? I have done nowhere near that many boxes of 50 penny pieces, but I've got a nice silver stash already.

Try some CWR runs, teller trays, calling weird banks, etc.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Only one bank in my area will order the Kennedy's for me, I have talked to them all (Small city). I Dime roll hunt for my silver, LOL...I usually go through over $1000 in dimes a week and pull about 1-2 silver dimes per $100 searched on average. I also do nickels RARELY, went through $200 this weekend and got 1 silver...they were all in Loomis wrappers, which suck since I have to have everything in rolls to turn it in.

DrawkcaB

Mar 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT!!!! So I'm guessing the $1000 in Halves I just ordered is going to be time wasted?
And was the $16K or did you hit one to many 0's? :BangHead:

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gmrestoparts said:
Well...after going through $16000 in halves I found my first keeper. A 1994S Proof. I still havent found ANY silver, but I have $4000 more coming in this week.

That is tough 16,000 that is 32 box if my math is correct. I have to give it to you for sticking with it. Most would have given up after just a few box. Best of luck going forward. Have you thought about trying dimes.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's rough! Stick at it. Things will get better—they always do!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
GREAT!!!! So I'm guessing the $1000 in Halves I just ordered is going to be time wasted?
And was the $16K or did you hit one to many 0's? :BangHead:

How could it ever be time wasted if you are having fun doing it? Remember it is the thrill of the hunt that is worth all the expenses and the unending countless amount of time devoted for the chance to some day yell, "I got one!" when that silver finally jumps out of a roll at you.

Gmrestoparts, That is a lot of looking, keep trying everything you can and it will come. Good luck and HH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope...its $16K worth. I have another $4K coming in tomorrow. I upped my order to $4K a week...till I get cut-off by my dump bank...hopefully that wont happen. Also trying to work to get Ikes, but they say there is a fee to get those...I asked how much the fee was and told them I would pay it, since there are far fewer people searching IKES then Kennedy's...maybe I will have better luck? Thoughts on that? Im not stopping trying on the Kennedy's till I hit pay dirt, :) Ans then I might double my order and stop searching dimes for a while. Went through $450 of dimes today for a 1952 and a 1964. Only took a couple hours but still...I usually get between 1-2 per $100 searched so that is kinda low for me...these are all member rolls by the way on the dimes.

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-2 per 100 searched on the dimes is pretty good. When I worked at a credit union I would find about 1.5 dimes for every $200 searched...and they were all CWR. I don't miss that job.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I usually average about 2 dimes per box so 1-2 per 100 is twice as good as I get. A good dump bank is hard to find and better to have than all the pickups combined. IMHO it makes no sense to push them till they cut you off especially if they are the only dump bank you have. I would try some different pick up banks instead of just trying to get more and more from the same place that has not been producing. Try getting a couple of boxes from some different banks until you hit one with boxes that have some silver. I have been getting one box a week recently, today's box had 7-90%'s and 15 40%'s and it has been easy to dump only 1 box when I was getting 3-4 a week. I would keep doing the dimes, they can add up quick. I had some 10 and 14 dime boxes in the beginning but then they leveled out after a while. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a good working relationship with the VP of accounts...plus we goto the same church! :)

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You've gone through 32,000 halves and haven't found one silver? Might be time to focus on something else...

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show, all of the silver is gone. All of you new guys should just give up now and go buy a metal detector. No more getting rich for free here. :)

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be par for the course lately. I just ended a $47500 drought this week. You will find something eventually. I had a $13000 dry spell and then I had a box with 90 silvers in it. You never know what the next box brings.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as paying for Ikes, remember that the last silver dollars made for circulation were in the 1930s. This means that there are fewer silver dollars than halves in circulation. The 1970s 40% Ike was NIFC, so they are not that common.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta hand it to you, you've got more persistence than me! Happy hunting and congrats on the proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread