Gloves

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Latex gloves if you don't care. My advice if you have coins of numanistic value are the cotton ones coin shops sell.

Basically, if it's been handled and in circulation but a rare coin, you should be careful, but seriously, it's already been out there.

Now if we're talking about an MS 63 trade dollar, yea, cotton gloves that haven't been used before.

But circ coins, just to skip the "coin fingers"? I'd say medical exam/housekeeping type gloves you can get in bulk.

WVBlueandGold

Feb 24, 2013
I use latex gloves most of the time. I tried regular household plastic cleaning gloves but they were too flimsy. It's worth the extra expense for latex

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I know I saw somewhere a mention of gloves someone uses when CRHing, did a search and couldn't find it so asking- if you use gloves while CRHing what do you use? I did about $100 in nickels yesterday and my hands where black

Ya my hands get pretty dirty working with nickels what I have found that works every time.

As soon as I get up from working with them I wash my hands. They have always come clean, every single time.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“You cling so tightly to your purity, my lad! How terrified you are of sullying
your hands. Well, go ahead then, stay pure! What good will it do, and why
even bother coming here among us? Purity is a concept of fakirs and friars.
But you, the intellectuals, the bourgeois anarchists, you invoke purity as
your rationalization for doing nothing. Do nothing, don’t move, wrap your
arms tight around your body, put on your gloves. As for myself, my hands
are dirty. I have plunged my arms up to the elbows in excrement and blood.
And what else should one do? Do you suppose that it is possible to govern
innocently?” ― Jean-Paul Sartre, Les Mains sales

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bareback is the only way to go, the feeling isnt the same.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't wear gloves just because I'm kind of a dirty guy, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

However, I heard on NPR that all coins have some trace of the flu on them. BUT, not enough to give you the flu, just enough to give you an immunizing effect if you are continually exposed. I never use any antibacterial ever if I can avoid it, and am the opposite of a germaphobe. no flu shots for me either. no antiboitics if I get sick (unless it's a life threatening infection). Interesting, I rarely, rarely get sick. you've gotta give your immune system practice

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal of course if a different issue, not sure how good it is to be exposed to thousands of tiny metal flakes every day!

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a fun fact. About 90% of dollar bills contain traces of cocaine on them.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save up as many as I can and scrape em all off lol. But I make sure to wear gloves.

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is a big letdown every 10th dollar bill eh?

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wear the nitrile gloves that you can get at Harbor Freight, Sam's Club, etc. At Harbor Freight the last box I bought were the medium duty ones, which were slightly thicker than the basic ones that you would buy at Sam's Club.

When I started CRHing I got a slight skin fungus, then from that point on I started using gloves to avoid the nasties that are on coins. I search a high volume of halves so I touch a lot of coins each week, and feel that it is a good preventative measure. I'm also in a sub-tropical climate so the warmer environment might let more fungi grow than some of the climates up north.

You just have to decide what's best for you.

Last edited:

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that wearing gloves slowes me down. I can't thumb through them at the rate I can with out them. As others have mentioned the feud wears off and you get some free immunity.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear the nitrile gloves that you can get at Harbor Freight, Sam's Club, etc. At Harbor Freight the last box I bought were the medium duty ones, which were slightly thicker than the basic ones that you would buy at Sam's Club.

When I started CRHing I got a slight skin fungus, then from that point on I started using gloves to avoid the nasties that are on coins. I search a high volume of halves so I touch a lot of coins each week, and feel that it is a good preventative measure. I'm also in a sub-tropical climate so the warmer environment might let more fungi grow than some of the climates up north.

You just have to decide what's best for you.

yea if I still lived down south I might opt for the gloves, that humidity breeds everything bacterial

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joshr29 said:
Here's a fun fact. About 90% of dollar bills contain traces of cocaine on them.

Ya, sure. Because 90% of Americans do cocaine. Better check your sources on that one.

EnigmaKing

Greenie
Feb 13, 2013
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my flight gloves from my aircrew days. Lightweight, retain good "feel" and can protect you from sharpies (they are leather on the palm side and material on the rest). Go to a surplus store and they should be cheap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread