Other
Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone here commonly get coins rolled that came strait from the treasury to the sorting company? I got a box of nickels today and all 50 rolls where 2011 nickels. Should I just send them back? Are they worth keeping at all? Does this happen often?

Thanks all for the info!

Are they in mint labeled rolls?
Wicka

OP
OP
Kilerclown25

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
No label on the rolls but all are 2011 and I'm pretty sure all except for the ends are in uncirculated condition, I only opened 1 roll but all the showing coins are 2011 p minted nickels

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
certain companies like garda get shipments of coins from the U.S. Mint(in your case, the philadelhia mint) to sort, roll, package and distribute to be put out into circulation... garda does specialize in new coins, however, they also do circulated ones... i'd keep a roll or two and return the rest back to a different bank.
No label on the rolls but all are 2011 and I'm pretty sure all except for the ends are in uncirculated condition, I only opened 1 roll but all the showing coins are 2011 p minted nickels

OP
OP
Kilerclown25

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay that makes sense, are the rolls worth more than 2 dollars at all? And any theory as why 2011 brand new coins are surfacing now?

Sorry fir all the questions I'm just pretty new to coin collecting and hunting

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if they demand a premium, but if they do, it will likely be a minimal premium not worth my troubles after ebay fees and such... i'd just dump them, I've gotten multiple boxes of 2011 and 2012 nickels, I returned them to a different bank in an unopened box (i peek through the holes in the top of the box to see if they are all brand new(
Okay that makes sense, are the rolls worth more than 2 dollars at all? And any theory as why 2011 brand new coins are surfacing now?

Sorry fir all the questions I'm just pretty new to coin collecting and hunting

OP
OP
Kilerclown25

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay thank you alot! Ill probably just save a couple like you said.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like to collect coins, so I would probably keep a few rolls or so, just to have them.

OP
OP
Kilerclown25

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm keeping 5 or so tools for the novelty and maybe a buddy would like a couple too. Haha

And I hope I'm welcomed to the Ohio CRHing scene! I'm in eastern Columbus area also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread