• image-126761198.jpg
    image-126761198.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know it was a proof? Just by the " S " mint? Is this for all pennies or certain years? And is the S mint proof just for pennies or all coins? Thanks guys.

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
How do you know it was a proof? Just by the " S " mint? Is this for all pennies or certain years? And is the S mint proof just for pennies or all coins? Thanks guys.

The last S mint mark that was a business strike for cents was 1974. This is not true of other coins however. Last S for nickels was 1970, dimes 1955, and for quarters, 1954.

This does not mean all other S marks are proofs. There are many mint sets that carry the S mark that are not proofs. The high polished mirror like surface are the signs of a proof.

MU

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There are? I am unaware of these.

Any business strike cents produced in San Fran will be issued in the respective mint set. '68, '69, '70, '71, '72, '73, and '74 mint sets include a P/D/S mint cent.

I only mentioned cents as it pertains to the OP thread. But look at the mintage of Nickels. In '68, '69, and '70, there was no nickel production in Philly. Mint sets have a D/S mint nickel.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You get a pass this once just because you weren't born, yet. Not being hard on you, but you know better.

MU worded his statement awkwardly. He referred to the S mints that were in circulation before, and then made it seem like there were ones that he did not list that were in mint sets, which is not true.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any business strike cents produced in San Fran will be issued in the respective mint set. '68, '69, '70, '71, '72, '73, and '74 mint sets include a P/D/S mint cent.

I only mentioned cents as it pertains to the OP thread. But look at the mintage of Nickels. In '68, '69, and '70, there was no nickel production in Philly. Mint sets have a D/S mint nickel.

I knew about these of course. MU stated that there were business strike "s" mintmarked cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters up to certain years...and then went on to say that there are other "s" mintmarked coins that are not proofs as well. Outside of the business strike 40% silver bicentennial half, I am unaware of any others.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I knew about these of course. MU stated that there were business strike "s" mintmarked cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters up to certain years...and then went on to say that there are other "s" mintmarked coins that are not proofs as well. Outside of the business strike 40% silver bicentennial half, I am unaware of any others.

Well, in that case, Sag is correct. The ATB series has S mint quarters that have only been available in rolls (last year). It remains to be seen whether this year's mint set will include the S mint ATB quarters.

Since you and Sag interpreted MU's comments the same, then I'll refrain from trying to decipher his comments until he chimes in. By the way, the S mint ATB quarters have tiny mintages and hefty premiums limiting potential buyers.

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
My reply was not that well written about proofs. I was only referring to the 1976 S that was a 40% and not a proof but bore the S mint mark.

After reading my initial post, I see how it was poorly written.

MU

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cent is a proof, and if you want to know the mintage history of this cent, check out the RedBook.

w w w dot amazon dot com slash - get your red book

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 1970 mint set that contained the '70 s small date cent. It was not a proof. Just sayin'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread