Which Halves Have Value?

rakoom2002

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know anything below 1971 has value. I went through two boxes already only look for pre 1971 but read that ones with s marks have value. I grabbed one out from this current box just because it looked extra shiny and just realized it had an s mark so im gonna re go through the whole box. I saw in another thread someone collects NIFCs or something. So ya are any other ones worth money besides the pre 1971 silvers?

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
S-marks, the occasional (silver balboa, same dates as halves be careful when you find one though), Timzims painted coins (realeased in limited sets, worth holding onto), S mark of course, the saught after 40% bicentennial, some of the people on this site save the 1987s, keep on reading, & welcome to the site homie.

OP
OP
R

rakoom2002

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I havent found any silver yet but I got a 1988 S that looks in perfect condition, super shiny, almost chrome like and then a golden bicentennial with extra dates stamped on it, 1960 and 1985.

H

Holly_squirrel

50cent said:
S-marks, the occasional (silver balboa, same dates as halves be careful when you find one though), Timzims painted coins (realeased in limited sets, worth holding onto), S mark of course, the saught after 40% bicentennial, some of the people on this site save the 1987s, keep on reading, & welcome to the site homie.

Ok just happened to catch this. I k ow nothing about coins. What is the 40% bicentennial ? I have like a jar full of 1976's that my grandpop saved for me since that was my birth year

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ones that have the S-mark, you can do a sound test or look at the side. Be warned, not all are 40%, and many members have trouble discerning 40% and clad, because S-mark coins are usually in pristine condition (both very shiny).

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40% silver... otherwise 1976's are only worth 50 cents...

You can tell them easily, by sound test, and rim checking, and also for the silver 1976, it has the S mint mark as well

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know anything below 1971 has value. I went through two boxes already only look for pre 1971 but read that ones with s marks have value. I grabbed one out from this current box just because it looked extra shiny and just realized it had an s mark so im gonna re go through the whole box. I saw in another thread someone collects NIFCs or something. So ya are any other ones worth money besides the pre 1971 silvers?

If you're not interested in collecting, and only making a profit, have a look on ebay. It will show you what is selling for how much and what isn't selling.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Where do u look for the S mark?

The "S" mint mark (for San Fransisco) is underneath Kennedy's neck.

View attachment 770249

This isn't the best pic, but this is a 40% silver bicentennial half.

I know nothing about coins. What is the 40% bicentennial ? I have like a jar full of 1976's that my grandpop saved for me since that was my birth year

These were released in 3 ways: a Silver uncirculated (or B.U.) set, a silver proof set, and a clad proof set.

And this is a pic of all 3 of them for a side-by-side comparison.

View attachment 770250

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I havent found any silver yet but I got a 1988 S that looks in perfect condition, super shiny, almost chrome like and then a golden bicentennial with extra dates stamped on it, 1960 and 1985.

And be aware that TimZim's coins are only worth face, and you will see a lot. Check them for 40%, as a couple people have reported a painted 40%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread