Wher should I buy my coins?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I suggest you get a charter membership and offer to buy them here!

(It is still April 1, isn't it?)

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
To buy implies you pay a premium over what they are worth, you mean exchange correct? buy coins at coin shops, they sort out the good'ns for you nice and easy. you can exchange for coins at banks, and its a hit or miss whether they search them (they are known as "sniping" tellers on this site, cause, they "pick off" the good coins).

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
Buy, search, exchange. I went and bought lots of quarter rolls from the local grocers and convenient stores ... All I found was an "s" minted state quarter. Even the one Wisconsin I found was a normal one. Not even a "d" lol.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Such as nickels, dimes and quarters? Where have you had the most luck (convenient stores, grocery stores, banks, etc.)?

Do you think the bank goes through each and everyone one of their coins?

I buy my coins from the bank by the box. I only buy them when the boxes are sealed from the coin provider, so that I am sure that the bank tellers haven't gone through them. Usually to get sealed boxes I have to place an order with them, in particular for half dollars. Sometimes they will sell a spare box of quarters or dimes.

The only exception to that rule is when I buy CWR's, when they know that a customer had brought them in. If a teller had gone through the CWR's, they would probably hint at it.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy, search, exchange. I went and bought lots of quarter rolls from the local grocers and convenient stores ... All I found was an "s" minted state quarter. Even the one Wisconsin I found was a normal one. Not even a "d" lol.

You will need to buy about $5000 in quarters before you find one on average.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you go to the bum living under the bridge, give him $500 and tell him to get your 2 boxes of dimes to you the next day. This was a joke of an answer because it had to be an April Fool's day joke of a question. :)

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I suggest you go to the bum living under the bridge, give him $500 and tell him to get your 2 boxes of dimes to you the next day. This was a joke of an answer because it had to be an April Fool's day joke of a question. :)

I fell for it. I don't do April Fools jokes. Oh well.

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013

It wasn't ... LOL. We just started looking into doing this and wanted some advice on where to start. :)

OP
OP
Heysenn

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
We went to a bunch of convenient store and grocery stores and they didn't want to give up there change. I would think the bank would go through theirs? We MD, but want to check this out too ...

jamesg13

Jan 7, 2013
The Outskirts
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy them where ever they are silver, and charge face value!:hello2:

by the box is best!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went to a bunch of convenient store and grocery stores and they didn't want to give up there change. I would think the bank would go through theirs? We MD, but want to check this out too ...

Honestly, the banks just order from the suppliers. They don't sit around all day searching rolls. They are operating a business. If you've been reading the forum then you know some of the better finds come from customer rolls. Also, stores aren't going to give up their rolls simply because they need them for business. Grocery stores get coin delivered from suppliers also, and they have to pay for that. Stick with the banks.
HH
enamel7

ElectroHouseR

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such as nickels, dimes and quarters? Where have you had the most luck (convenient stores, grocery stores, banks, etc.)?

Do you think the bank goes through each and everyone one of their coins?

Does the bank go through each end everyone of their coins??? Some do, some don't!
I went to a bank yesterday to pickup a box of half dollars....I was about to get it and my friend showed up out of nowhere, who happens to work at that branch. Guess what he told me?????
"THERE IS NO SILVER IN THERE!" haha. I'm like how the heck do you know????? He said that he went through all of them! I told him that someone already looked through them, that's why there isn't anything in there.
I picked up another box from the same branch about a week ago and one of the tellers told me that some guy goes there and dumps bags of loose half dollars (which is completely stupid. I always re-roll my halves and give them to the tellers, that's why I have absolutely zero problems when i'm returning my $500 boxes).
I told him to go through the boxes when that guy orders something, take out the silver ones, re-roll them and then give the box to that moron.

Dumping 2000 coins in a bag on a tellers desk is not cool. I hope that moron learns his lesson.
If you treat the tellers with respect, then they'll treat you with respect too. They ended up giving me an unsearched box, from which I found a 1954 Frankling and a couple of Kennedys.

Good luck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It's rare now for a bank employee to NOT go through coin that customers bring in, when they get the chance. You know that, if you've been pounding the streets for the last few years, like some here have. That's why they are advising you to order sealed boxes of coin from your bank. Even sealed boxes are no guarantee they have not been searched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread