Question for those who mark halves. If you had 400 halves how many would you mark?

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 4 CWR of halves at one bank and 20 CWR halves at another bank today. The 4 rolls provided a nice bit of silver 8 40%ers and a 1987 for my collection books (working on 5 of these). Interestingly, one coin in each of the 20 other rolls had a marked coin in it. Just one coin per roll and all the same mark.

I will typically make a simple mark on somewhere between 5 to 10 rolls out of a box with a sharpie as I am curious as to the likelihood of seeing them again and trying to figure out what the turnover of halves in my area is.

I know there are some differing opinions are marking coin but I was curious if you do mark your coins approximately how may out of a box do you typically mark. I have never seen any of my coins but I only starting marking them recently and not very diligent about doing it a lot of the time.

Also does anyone mark other coins. Considering the volume of dimes and nickels minted every year I have always felt marking lower denominations was not really a worth while endeavor.

Upvote 0

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I do it (which is not very often), I try to mark at least $500 worth at a time.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call it skunk therapy. It's like the guy who bangs his head against a brick wall over and over again. When someone asks him why he is doing it, the answer is: "Because it feels really good when I stop."

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I do it (which is not very often), I try to mark at least $500 worth at a time.

I thought about marking a whole box but I would hate to see them all or a bunch of them in a "new" box. If I find one or two I can still fool myself into believe the box I am working on might still be worth searching because I am going to go through it all in all likelihood anyways.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dump to a different bank and different armored car service, you will probably never see them again. If you dump where you pick-up (violation of cardinal rule #1), you will probably see them again in about five or six weeks. But it will most likely be many fewer.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dump to a different bank and different armored car service, you will probably never see them again. If you dump where you pick-up (violation of cardinal rule #1), you will probably see them again in about five or six weeks. But it will most likely be many fewer.

Ya, I use different bank but I do not know who handles the coin processing for the dump bank. Garda is the company where I get most of my halves but I do not think in this area they process any coins, They always deliver Brinks rolls to the bank.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then mark them all with something weird, mention it on here and see where they end up :-) Mine seem to travel east as they go away from me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread