Question for those who mark halves. If you had 400 halves how many would you mark?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kfs

Thread: Question for those who mark halves. If you had 400 halves how many would you mark?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    kfs
    us
    Jul 2012
    96 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question for those who mark halves. If you had 400 halves how many would you mark?

I picked up 4 CWR of halves at one bank and 20 CWR halves at another bank today. The 4 rolls provided a nice bit of silver 8 40%ers and a 1987 for my collection books (working on 5 of these). Interestingly, one coin in each of the 20 other rolls had a marked coin in it. Just one coin per roll and all the same mark.

I will typically make a simple mark on somewhere between 5 to 10 rolls out of a box with a sharpie as I am curious as to the likelihood of seeing them again and trying to figure out what the turnover of halves in my area is.

I know there are some differing opinions are marking coin but I was curious if you do mark your coins approximately how may out of a box do you typically mark. I have never seen any of my coins but I only starting marking them recently and not very diligent about doing it a lot of the time.

Also does anyone mark other coins. Considering the volume of dimes and nickels minted every year I have always felt marking lower denominations was not really a worth while endeavor.

us
    Feb 2011
    America
    1632 times
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    If I do it (which is not very often), I try to mark at least $500 worth at a time.

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    I call it skunk therapy. It's like the guy who bangs his head against a brick wall over and over again. When someone asks him why he is doing it, the answer is: "Because it feels really good when I stop."

kfs
    us
    Jul 2012
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OtlFrutiger View Post
    If I do it (which is not very often), I try to mark at least $500 worth at a time.
    I thought about marking a whole box but I would hate to see them all or a bunch of them in a "new" box. If I find one or two I can still fool myself into believe the box I am working on might still be worth searching because I am going to go through it all in all likelihood anyways.
    sagittarius98 likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    If you dump to a different bank and different armored car service, you will probably never see them again. If you dump where you pick-up (violation of cardinal rule #1), you will probably see them again in about five or six weeks. But it will most likely be many fewer.

kfs
    us
    Jul 2012
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OtlFrutiger View Post
    If you dump to a different bank and different armored car service, you will probably never see them again. If you dump where you pick-up (violation of cardinal rule #1), you will probably see them again in about five or six weeks. But it will most likely be many fewer.
    Ya, I use different bank but I do not know who handles the coin processing for the dump bank. Garda is the company where I get most of my halves but I do not think in this area they process any coins, They always deliver Brinks rolls to the bank.

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    Then mark them all with something weird, mention it on here and see where they end up :-) Mine seem to travel east as they go away from me.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links