What ever happened to the days of searching cents?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember when I first joined the forum it seemed like half of the posts were about cent finds. Now it seems like 90% of the people on here only do halves, and the other 10% is dimes, nickels, and cents. I remember my first post ever read was 1955 DDO, and everyone did halves pretty much. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:

There was a week where everyone was posting about their great cent finds recently.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember when I first joined the forum it seemed like half of the posts were about cent finds. Now it seems like 90% of the people on here only do halves, and the other 10% is dimes, nickels, and cents. I remember my first post ever read was 1955 DDO, and everyone did halves pretty much. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:

Ill hook ya up tonight with a cent post...just picked up $100 worth to go through!!!!

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all about cents right now. Nothing huge lately, just a very red 1958 wheatie. It definitely stands out amongst my other brown wheaties.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The higher price rise in silver is most likely he cause for the increase in searches of the larger denomination of coins. Truth be known, I would much rather look thru rolls of cents, spending less for more, and having just as much of a thrill at finding an illusive wheaty!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young, all I use to search were cents & nickels. It was only in the last couple years that I realized you could order boxes of halves. I am a collector first & THer second. The $ I have made from halves has allowed me to buy the expensive collector coins I could never afford before! I still buy boxes of cents and nicks cuz they are fun to go thru, but it's the halves that justify the time spent CRHing.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search pennies, I did 2 boxes over last week for a total of 35 common wheats from 1920-1958 and about 14 canadian pennies.

archertiger3

Feb 25, 2013
KS
Primary Interest:
Other
I search pennies, I did 2 boxes over last week for a total of 35 common wheats from 1920-1958 and about 14 canadian pennies.

you're in mississippi and you got 14 canadians? i'm in kansas and only average 2 or 3 per box

TheCladinator

Apr 1, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I order halves from my bank, 4x a month, when I'm finished with those (usually between 1 or 2 days) I search between 1-$200.00 a month in cents. I usally buy $50.00 bags from my CU, but do order the occasional boxes. The # and years of wheats, seem to be better in a $25 box vs a $50 bag. I sort out all the zinc, then check all the copper for anything special, I found a 1904 Indian Head last month. Then the copper goes into my hoard.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do one or two boxes a week plus dimes nickels and any cwr half dollars. Half dollars are a good thing to search because you often find silver worth at least $4. Dimes and nickels are worth less than $2 and pennies have wheat pennies worth .10 each.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i like pennies, but i haven't foudn a good wheatie in ages. I found a 1930 something about 4 boxes ago, but nothing older than 1940's since. Even the newer whats are rarer. I think I found 8 in my last box. that's just not that good.

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Im about to go back to cent hunting and quit hunting halves. I have gone through $20K in halves and found NOTHING...its been a complete waste of my time and is only pissing off my dump banks

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
What, you're living vicariously through others until you can do cents again? :laughing7:

For the two years I've been on here, the vast majority of posts have been about halves.

mrhaz

Jul 26, 2007
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I search is cents, averaging between 5,000 and 7,500 a week. Just over the past two months I've managed to pull five 2011P 1DO-004s and two 1968D 1DR-001s. I do not save the copper but mainly search for hole fillers for my Grandson's Dansco and varieties and errors. There are countless high dollar examples still hiding in circulation to find. A 1992 CAM recently went for around $20,000 in an auction!

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
i do 4 boxes of cents a week. I have had some great finds but pretty much the last 4-6 boxes has been average.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread