Whats a good price for peace and morgan dollars?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odds are you Won't be able to buy for Below Spot.
But a "Good Price" would be "Spot" rounded up to the nearest Dollar

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
personally I would probably pay 22 or 23 because silver is so low right now and it's going to go back up sometime soon I'm sure.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have $170 to spend on anything that i want. Im thinking about buying up some silver to flip for a profit and maybe some buffalos or dollars for my collection.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man if the coin shop sells below spot you should buy all you can- I've never heard a shop selling even at spot- most sell a little to a lot above spot- good luck

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Morgans and Peace Dollars command a premium over spot even when other 90% coins can be had for spot. If you look at Apmex they will buy Morgans and Peace dollars from you over spot (and, of course, sell them to you much higher). I've usually been able to get Morgan and Peace Dollars for $25 from private sellers, and still have been able to sell for a profit if I wanted to. If your LCS sells Morgans or Peace Dollars for spot I would buy all you can. At a minimum you could flip them to Apmex.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday while at a local coin shop converting some scrap gold, the morgan's that he had were priced at $30.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Peace and Morgans have always had a premium over just buying 4 quarters or 2 halves.

A good price is one that you're happy with, whether you're happy to pay $35 for them, or just scrap silver.

Keep in mind though that this recent decrease in paper silver price hasn't really affected much of the physical silver market...

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't find anything good today but im going to try a few stores and a pawn shop tomorrow.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to "flip for a profit", don't you think the coin shop would have already priced their coins at full retail? Remember, it's a COIN SHOP.

You might want to consider looking for deals like that elsewhere.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to "flip for a profit", don't you think the coin shop would have already priced their coins at full retail? Remember, it's a COIN SHOP.

You might want to consider looking for deals like that elsewhere.

I meant buy at a low and sell when silver goes back up

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my lcs buys at 85-90% spot and sells at 20x face, 28x face for dollars.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My local sells them for 15

Seriously? Buy all you can! Its quite easy to sell stuff at spot on Craigslist since nearly everyone wants spot+ something and if you can buy under spot and sell for spot you can make quite a bit!

(This is assuming you mean Morgan and Peace dollars and not the 40% silver Ikes)

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent $28 for a decent '21 Morgan today at my LCS- will probably go back and get a couple more

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
if its a dollar one dollar it is unles its colecable coin

Peace/Morgan dollars are all made out of 90% silver and worth over $20 in just silver melt alone, with some date/mintmark varieties being worth hundreds even in poor condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions