New guy, first box of dimes

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
First of all, thank you to all who came before and added their insights to the many blogs on this site. I was happy to find this app for my iPhone. I opened an account at a credit union directly across the street from me and made fast friends with the vault teller. Although they don't even have an option to order halves, she said she would be happy to take whatever I bring in and put it through the machine for free. (I hear a couple of you saying, "Don't buy where you dump!!" And I know) She was great and asked if I wanted to get started right away because she could give me a box of dimes now. I couldn't resist. So here are the results: 1 1953 & 1 plastic button looking thing. I found the plastic and my daughter found the silver! Only one in a box of $250, but its a start. This leads me to a question. Does anyone know if Loomis scans their coins? 1 seems low compared to what I have seen on here, but then again, I'm a noob. :) ***On a positive note, none of the banks in my area have ever heard of coin roll hunting and they all think its very exciting!! Lets see if they still think that when I'm bugging them more often.

image-3184383595.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Any tips on how to get coins rolled by individuals or is that not a good idea?

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask for customer wrapped rolls, sometimes they can be skunks other times there small silver mines!! Good luck!

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's determination!

I only average about one a box but every now and then you hit that box with ten of them. I know they are less valuable than halves but they seem to be more reliable. I've only been skunked on like 3 boxes. I do mostly machined wrapped rolls. There is still silver in them.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep 1-1.5 per box is about what i average. Most i've found was 3 in one box.

gl & hh

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hit, Yeah that is average, or above average... you can go through many skunk boxes before you find any... Its all luck of the draw, but atleast you get your fiat paper back in the end.

Also, do not ask for "customer wrapped roll(CWR as we call them online)", the tellers will look at you like you have 3 heads... the way to ask tellers is for "hand wrapped rolls", and if they still dont get it, you make the motion of folding the paper edges over a roll... atleast thats how I do it around here, the tellers are mostly braindead I think, maybe too much fluoride in the water...

But the CWRs can be decent, and that is where you will find big scores... MWR(machine wrapped) are more averaged out, but you can still find multiple silvers at a time, but I doubt you would ever find a solid roll of silver in a MWR, like you could in a CWR...

HH and welcome to the site

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Thanks for all the advice! Like I said earlier none of the banks I've spoken to so far have ever heard of coin roll hunting so maybe I won't upset too many too quickly. I've seen a couple people comment about Loomis coins but its not positive or negative... Any thoughts? Are any carriers better than others?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, you mention CRHing??? Why?

Never give any info away for free!!!! Never mention silver either...

Wheres eminem's guide at? lol

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
In all my years of CRHing (3321 years), i never mention the S-word. Don't offer any info. If they press you, just say you collect the dates in those cardboard books. But if they don't ask, just smile and say thank you and use their name a lot.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The key to dime keepers is volume searching.
I've searched well over $100,000 in customer rolled, and have never found a solid roll of silver dimes.
For me, boxes are the best producers of silver, Canadian silver, mercs, and Barbers.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No coin carrier looks at any coins or scans them to take the silver out, this has been dragged to hell and back, talked about for years and there is no reasonable evidence of this ever happened, they simply don't have time for it and don't care..They make more money off of the banks ordering coin and boxes for us, that the profit we make from our silver is nothing to them..These money carriers are RICH!!!! It's people like us that have been taking silver out for years thats it and that's why a lot of times you dont find any..Its the unaware that put the silver back into the system, the grandson that inherited his grandfathers coin collection in which he has no interest of and deposits them into the bank so he can get some fast food..the rolls of coin he deposited sit there and sit there in the bank vault until there is enough halves for the lead tellers to call brinks or whoever to get picked up (Banks don't like coin taking up space).Thus ending up in our boxes eventually..sometimes it takes 1 box to hit it big, sometimes it takes 20..A box doesn't know if you've search 1 or 1,000, it only can give you what it's got and that's it...its the luck of the draw but being persistent will put the odds in your favor.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No coin carrier looks at any coins or scans them to take the silver out, this has been dragged to hell and back, talked about for years and there is no reasonable evidence of this ever happened, they simply don't have time for it and don't care..They make more money off of the banks ordering coin and boxes for us, that the profit we make from our silver is nothing to them..These money carriers are RICH!!!! It's people like us that have been taking silver out for years thats it and that's why a lot of times you dont find any..Its the unaware that put the silver back into the system, the grandson that inherited his grandfathers coin collection in which he has no interest of and deposits them into the bank so he can get some fast food..the rolls of coin he deposited sit there and sit there in the bank vault until there is enough halves for the lead tellers to call brinks or whoever to get picked up (Banks don't like coin taking up space).Thus ending up in our boxes eventually..sometimes it takes 1 box to hit it big, sometimes it takes 20..A box doesn't know if you've search 1 or 1,000, it only can give you what it's got and that's it...its the luck of the draw but being persistent will put the odds in your favor.

Hit the nail on the head!

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
OK. NEW GUY BLUNDER. I won't bring up CRH or the S word again. Lol thanks for setting me straight.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

There are high tech coin couunters that could be use to select out silver. The coin handling services wouldn't use them becuase it would slow down their processing of coin. How much silver does the most successful coin roll hunter cull per year? $30,000? $40,000? That would be meaningless to them. Does Bill Gates take his empty pop bottles to the store to collect the return?

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
I got 115.00 in halves + 145.00 in dimes. Found 1 1964 dime :) After watching the fourms and seeing what people have gotten it's average to just find 1-2 in $250.00..

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Really Tested my saddlebags tonight. Being new to this I only got the coins they had on hand but will start ordering on Monday. I got $100.00 on dimes from one bank, $140.00 in dimes, $60.00 in quarters, and $40.00 in nickels from another. A lot of weight in the bag but it made it home. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions