Copper today is what silver was back in 1960s! Copper will be a precious metal! PROOF

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doin some calulations, and I see that copper is and will be a precious metal in a matter of years. it's value is growing, exponentially, similar to how Ag was before the coinage act of 1965.

Copper Prices.jpg

if you know the mathematics, then you will realize this is an exponential rate of growth. now you may say, "50, nice graph n'all, but I don't see where this fits in". well look below, I got a picture of the price of silver from the silver institute showing the same almost exact rate of exponential growth back in the early 1960s. if you ask an old timer, who lived in that time period, they will say about silver coins what people say about the copper cent, "people didn't think they were worth anything, we just spent um"

price-history-1960-1965.gif

If people think hunting cents is a waste of time, well.......let them keep thinking that. Opinions?

Upvote 0

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2012 US copper production (4th largest in the world) : 1.15 million metric tons.
2011 US Silver production : 1160 metric tons.
2012 US gold production: 340 metric tons.

Copper wire is 99.9% pure.

we discard more copper in electronics, bushings and housewares than makes sense to cull from pennies.

silver has been used as coinage, and jewelry but until the 70's was still mostly an industrial metal. Like copper.

I can't see copper skyrocketing in value due to its production recycling and surplus numbers. I don't know about you, but i don't want a warehouse full of cents to take care of till i'm 75 and they are worth selling. Time value of money here folks. Would it really keep up with inflation?

I run scrap metal usually obtained free, but have yet to dive in to cents. part of me says well you could sell them as coins for a higher price later on too, but then i would have to spend my retirement sorting coins... I would rather spend it on a beach with my two favorite Rita's, a margarita and a senorita.

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The biggest factor would supply and demand on the back side. When and if the Gov. Makes it legal to melt pennies, there will be a HUGE surge of pennies bring turned in for melt. These 100's of million of lbs of copper( pennies) will cause a surplus of copper supply, dropping demand. You guessed it, lower demand=lower price. That initial surge of copper may take decades to make a profitable come back for us penny hoarders. Just my theory on this matter.

I mean if a person were to melt 100lb of copper pennies TODAY along with a pound or so of pure copper bullion, would anyone know that the resulting ingot is copper pennies?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean if a person were to melt 100lb of copper pennies TODAY along with a pound or so of pure copper bullion, would anyone know that the resulting ingot is copper pennies?

Probably not. There is smuggling into Mexico for melting also.

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its is possible but not easy. It would not be worth punishment. unless you were going to do it on large scale that would take couple thousand to set up..then you would need the large supply of pennies..

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those cartels could just open up a dimes for pennies program. They'd find a way...

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Links. Ive been playing with copper for about 7 years i used to get the boxes of pennies and strip copper wire by hand. both give gave very little return. i used to do this while while watching tv in my spare time.. still have most all of it. wating for copper to go back up to the high $4 mark. I wont hold my breath.
But i feel the copper market is dead on very accurate maybee a little low. Unlike silver another metal i collect. Silver scares me it could plumit down to the Teens again, silver moves very strangely now all the big movements are downward. it will gain little by little for a long period of time and just get crushed downward in a couple days been doing this since the boom.
down the toilet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread