Nice little surprise while dumping

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Update!!!

Just finished the dump, and there was another 1964 FDR in the reject slot when I got done.

Wow...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Nice find - I'm still looking but no joy so far Numismaniac!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only finds for me: a Japanese 10 Yen and a Chuckie Cheese token. :BangHead: Nice finds on your part!

Anita

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Only finds for me: a Japanese 10 Yen and a Chuckie Cheese token. :BangHead: Nice finds on your part!

Anita

What date is the Japanese 10 yen?

The date is under the "10", read from left to right, the first characters will be for the Emperor. You just need to tell me the numbers, no need to convert to our dates.

images

bpt233506

Apr 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^ pretty sure sagittarius' farts have more coin knowledge than you..

And it's Japanese..

My mistake....looks like both languages share the same characters for numerals. Don't see what characters for numbers has to do with coins?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My mistake....looks like both languages share the same characters for numerals. Don't see what characters for numbers has to do with coins?

You are correct. Most Chinese people can read written Japanese language, and I assume vice versa. Definitely not true for the spoken language though...

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
That coin is 100% Japanese without a doubt. I speak Chinese and yes: the languages share a lot of characters. The numbers Sagittarius provided are at least true of Chinese. They probably mean the same thing in Japanese: these two things are not mutually exclusive. The three characters at the top, 日本国, basically mean: land of the sun or land of the rising sun. This makes total sense. The first of the two characters at the bottom is 十 meaning 10 and by way of google search for "Japanese character for yen" the second character at the bottom is exactly that: 円. As far as the other side goes: if we had the characters 三十 by themselves, out of the context of this coin: we would have the number 30. I cannot sight read the other characters on that side of the coin and I do not know Kanji, so I would not want to venture a guess on what all that means.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Some near dates."

Can u sell these???????????

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds! Today when I dumped I found in the reject chute 3 clad dimes (one was totally mangled), 3 non-wheat Lincolns, 1983 British pound, 1999 British 5 Pence, and 1 dime-sized metal slug that read "WBC"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread