Coin Star is SOOO slow!!!

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just used a coin star machine for the first time and converted just over $100 into a Lowes Gift card so I didn't pay a fee (Doing a bathroom remodel and buying most of it at lowes so I figured why not right?!)

Holy cow does it take FOREVER to count!!!

How many of you use coinstar on a regular basis? I may do it again but next time I'll send my wife in to run it through :-)

Upvote 0

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I don't know what gift cards they offer, but I might just ask my mom if they're planning on going out and buying something big, and see if they have a gift card for the store. I remember I had $50 in cents one time I just didn't want to wrap it so I went to coinstar and it took me 10-15 minutes. I felt bad because right after I started putting cents in some other guy came and waited to use the machine.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait so theres no like 7% fee or whatever it is if you get a gift card?

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait so theres no like 7% fee or whatever it is if you get a gift card?

Correct.

The giftcards offered differ per machine. Some of the more common ones I see are Papa Johns, Itunes, Amazon, Rixzy, Lowes, and Restaurants.com. I've also seen toys'r'us, kroger, and chili's. It's very handy to get rid of large amounts of cents.. I've bought many papa johns pizzas because I get 50% too and I bought my wedding ring off Amazon using dumped halves.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have dumped bags of cents in there too...

I still have like 3 bags I need to get rid of still...

I get mine back as Chili's gift cards. The machines around here have iTunes, Lowe's, Amazon, Xbox Live, etc.

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use that to dump my halves from Coin Roll Hunting and I get a chilis gift card coin star had technical difficulties and I got cash instead

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use that to dump my halves from Coin Roll Hunting and I get a chilis gift card coin star had technical difficulties and I got cash instead

That happens as well.. if it can't communicate, it will give cash with no fee! Now if I could only unplug the RJ11 without feeling dirty or drawing looks..

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstar does take forever. Then it's like 9.7 Cents per $1.00.. A waste unless you only have like 40-50$ 250.00+ not worth it.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free to dump at the bank i go too just waiting for the call to end my acct i dump about 250.00 to 1000.00 a week. But talked the wify into opening an acct the other day. Oh forgot the kids saving accts also.

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it for Amazon, Lowes, local grocery stores and Sears. The Sears option also works in Kmart stores. Sears is nice as you can also use it for the store and auto center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions