Pretty Lady Sitting on a Rock

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Two days ago while going through a box of Loomis halves I saw the beautiful sight of a solid silver edge after unrolling the paper wrapper. Upon pulling the coin from the stack I was amazed to find an 1855 O Seated Liberty. It was in good to good plus condition as far as wear.

Needless to say, it got my heart rate up a good bit from the excitement.

This is the second seated liberty half that I have found in the last 6 months. The first was an 1877 P. Also in the same box as the 1855 O was a 1952 ben and 40%er.

The one detracting fact about the 1855 O is the fact that some person (idiot) had at one time drilled a hole in the coin so it could be used for a chain. The hole has been filled with something that was probably lead but it is visible. I plan to take it to my coin guy and see if it still has any worth. If nothing else, it is the first coin I have found that was minted before the war between the states.

Another neat fact is that I have visited the New Orleans Mint Museum and seen where the coin was actually made back in 1855. That also makes it a little more special to me .

For the pics, see "ref pretty lady on rock" thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! I have yet to find a Seated Liberty. Congrats!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Terrific find there Smitty! I am still waiting to find one myself. HH, Maverick.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So called "idiots" could have been the very poor that couldn't afford to lose 50 cents. I think with inflation today, we have become disillusioned to what these coins could have bought in their prime. Just think about the destruction of coins now.. some people flat out throw pennies away or destroy them on railroad tracks and souvenir machines.

Also, if it wasn't for people abusing and losing these older coins, they wouldn't be as rare today and highly regarded finds. Special comes at a price.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Smitty! I am very happy it went to somebody who will appreciate it, the coin has a mintage of 3.7 million and is book valued at $30 in low grade.
Go out and find some more!! Good luck,
HH
Buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread