Investing in Bullion Clad?

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have close to 170 pounds of 99.9% pure copper strands. I also have two 50 gallon drums, one full of brass doorknobs, candlesticks, pots that i smashed, fixtures, keys etc, the other full of copper odds and ends. aside from that, another drum of aluminum cans, several pounds of aluminum screen doors and window frames, a few radiators and probably 70 pounds of lead. Most of which I obtained free or nearly free. Copper cents aren't the best game in town, clad is a far far cry. jmho.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The way I figure it, there are 4 main asset classes to invest in:

1) Precious metals
2) International Real Estate
3) Base metals
4) Tangible assets (collector coins, art, jewellery, ivory, etc.)

But if you're overpaying for them (like you would by buying "bullion clad") you'd be better off not investing in them.

I think you are forgetting about lending and business ownership. IF you aren't wealthy enough to complete deals like these on your own, the stock or bond market can help facilitate that. Whether you think they are good investments or not is up to the individual, but historically, they've been good investments and have some serious merit.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrap base metals for the sole purpose of using that money to purchase precious metals.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this about CRH....

Please explain to me as I am missing something somewhere?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone move this thread to the correct forum?

OP
OP
Digesting a common clad
Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this about CRH....

Please explain to me as I am missing something somewhere?

I mean holding Bullion clad IE dimes,quarters,.50 cent pieces and large Ike dollar coin pieces as an investment.

Could those small gold dollar pieces be considered bullion clad?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean holding Bullion clad IE dimes,quarters,.50 cent pieces and large Ike dollar coin pieces as an investment.

Could those small gold dollar pieces be considered bullion clad?

Golden dollars are clad too, but of a different kind.

All investing should not be in the CRH forum. Although many CRHers do care about the topic of investments, this has nothing to do with CRH, and should be ein the Investments forum.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Gentlemen, with all threads on collecting clad pieces and the thread on copper being a precious metal it got be wondering does anyone here invest in Bullion Clad? *Puffs on cigar*

It seems the Best Clad would be the Large Ike dollar coin pieces.

Hmmmm........
"Buy low and sell high" or is it "Buy high and sell low"
Why buy copper/nickel for above strap metal prices?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are forgetting about lending and business ownership. IF you aren't wealthy enough to complete deals like these on your own, the stock or bond market can help facilitate that. Whether you think they are good investments or not is up to the individual, but historically, they've been good investments and have some serious merit.

The problem with Western businesses is that they are subject to the whim of the government. No matter how good (or how bad) the fundamentals are, government can intervene and change the outcome. For example, both AIG and Lehman Brothers should have failed, however one got a government bailout, the other did not.

Unless you have inside information and political connections, you cannot really profitably invest in US companies because the government manipulates the markets.

Some international companies do not have this problem (or have it to a lesser degree) but then you run into the problem of not really getting the full picture because you don't live in that country.

For these reasons, I really can't recommend investing in US stocks/bonds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread