Do any other CRHers Mine Bitcoin?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I really think to mine bitcoins much anymore you have to have multiple GPUs/video cards.

Myself, I think bitcoins have a place in commerce, but both the dollar and bitcoins have a crucial flaw: they are unbacked by any commodity and therefore worthless.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bitcoin was hacked a few days ago. Prices plummeted.

I looked into it, but the expenditure far outweighed the monetary gain.

And to date, no place I receive goods or services from accept them.

Interesting idea, but it is doomed to failure IMO.

WM

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I looked into it, but the expenditure far outweighed the monetary gain.

WM

That wasn't bitcoin though, that was just an exchange site (Mt.Gox) a bit like a stock exchange of sorts. Bitcoin itself has not been hacked and is quite reliable against hacking attempts, but third-party sites are vulnerable to hacking attacks just like the NYSE or a bank is.

OP
OP
nube250

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but what is bitcoin? Enlighten me

I'm sorry it would take too long, the best I can do is a completely digital currency. Google it sometime..

OP
OP
nube250

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WM

The price actually just skyrocketed over the last few days. $130+ per bitcoin, Check Ebay. Selling better than copper pennies:-)

As for the doomed to fail part, you could be right. I have to agree with Generic Lad on the fact that it is not backed by anything makes it flawed. Then again so are the green pieces of paper we have in our safes, wallets, and banks. The only difference I see is that there is a known amount of bit-coin that exists while no one really knows how many US dollars are out there, or how many trillions more they'll print.

I'm no economist and I won't pretend to be.

I already had the equipment (a fast computer with a decent graphics card) so all I'm really putting into it is a slight increase in my electric bill.. I'll probably only keep with it till I get a dozen or so bitcoin, then sell half and keep half just in case it hits gold prices..

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I googled it. Now my head hurts.

:BangHead:

Basically Bitcoin is a digital currency that is designed to be as anonymous as possible, like cash.

There is a set amount of Bitcoins that can be created, and to create more bitcoins you have to "mine" them which basically consists of giving the computer a really hard math problem that takes it a long time to solve and once it gets the right answer it gets some bitcoins.

Bitcoins are easily divisible to tiny fractions of a bitcoin so it can handle increases in value.

There's plenty of different sites that will accept Bitcoin to buy nearly anything you want.

Bitcoin isn't the easiest to use though, it usually requires using a third-party wallet for maximum ease of use and they aren't always 100% secure.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Basically Bitcoin is a digital currency that is designed to be as anonymous as possible, like cash.

There is a set amount of Bitcoins that can be created, and to create more bitcoins you have to "mine" them which basically consists of giving the computer a really hard math problem that takes it a long time to solve and once it gets the right answer it gets some bitcoins.

Bitcoins are easily divisible to tiny fractions of a bitcoin so it can handle increases in value.

There's plenty of different sites that will accept Bitcoin to buy nearly anything you want.

Bitcoin isn't the easiest to use though, it usually requires using a third-party wallet for maximum ease of use and they aren't always 100% secure.

So basically you literally produce/make your own virtual money?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Wow I just looked it up, and I'm just not even going to worry about it right now. I'm not smart enough for it anyway probably.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically you literally produce/make your own virtual money?

If the Feds can do it with paper $$$ why shouldn't the rest of us be able to make up our own virtual $$$ in thin air as well???

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
This is actually quite interesting, as I read more and more I begin to get it a little more and more, but it is still quite confusing. I don't have the hardware to do this though to even give it a shot it seems. Very interesting though!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
If the Feds can do it with paper $$$ why shouldn't the rest of us be able to make up our own virtual $$$ in thin air as well???

Hahaha that is actually really hilarious yet awesome! I wonder how long it will be until bitcoins become the main form of currency or everything is electronic/virtual at least?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
So are there just people out there running their "super" computers that costs them thousands of dollars and making money?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha that is actually really hilarious yet awesome! I wonder how long it will be until bitcoins become the main form of currency or everything is electronic/virtual at least?

You know thats about how it is now in the US...

Only 3% of US dollars are in actual physical currency, the rest is digital

Check out the documentary, Zeitgeist Addendum, its on netflix and youtube

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yes I did know that because someone has mentioned it before on the forum and so what happens of everyone goes to withdrawal their money from the bank? The bank says "Oh sorry, we've run out." I thought banks had to keep at least 10% of customers' money on hand at all times.

sax player

Apr 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on Wikipedia and now I have a headache... How does one "mine" them? What equipment does one need for that? Is the concept like stocks- owning something virtual?

Thanks,
~Sax Player

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread