Picked this up to start hoarding my copper cents in

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Picked it up for 50c at a garage sale. It's a one gallon coca cola syrup jug from the 70s maybe? It should hold around 6,000 cents! Immediately when I saw it, I thought copper cents and heck it is kind of collectible. Can't go wrong for 50c!

image-337761059.jpg

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna be one heavy sonuvagun once its full-

;-)

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
For every $50 copper cents lot I sell on ebay for profit I'm going to throw in $5 of copper cents of my own, so I'm throwing $20 in now.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
They might be fun to put in, but good luck getting them out of there when its time to sell....

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I agree. I'd go back to the yard sale and see if they had any mini sledges for $5. ;)

Reminds me when I gutted my bathroom. Filled a regular sized trash can with debris, tile, drywall. Then duh - couldn't move it out. Ha.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Haha, they pour out fine! It would take probably 10 minutes to empty the whole thing, but the hole at the top is slightly larger than a quarter. It should be fine, but if not oh well the jar only cost 50c.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, they pour out fine! It would take probably 10 minutes to empty the whole thing, but the hole at the top is slightly larger than a quarter. It should be fine, but if not oh well the jar only cost 50c.

I'm sure they pour out fine when you only have $5 in there. Wait until it's over half full and weighs 50+ pounds and then see if they come out fast enough....

Aww.. to have a young back again...

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Haha it'll weigh roughly 50lbs completely full. Maybe I'll just buy a 5 gallon water jug?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha it'll weigh roughly 50lbs completely full. Maybe I'll just buy a 5 gallon water jug?

The problem is the narrow neck. At the coin counter a couple of times I helped some older people who've stored up their change in those and milk jugs and they simply don't come out quickly and you're left holding it awkwardly shoving a pencil or ruler in there to try to get the coins out quickly.

You're just as good to get a bucket and call it good.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

A much better choice would be to get paper rolls and roll up 50 cents at a time and stick them inside the boxes you have searched. They stack much better, they are easier to ship if you choose to do so and banks accept them if your really need the money. Banks wont accept glass jugs of pennies, they will accept a $25 box full.

Also, I would say you could get about $20 or so for that bottle, depending on condition.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing is worse than walking up to the coin machine when the person in front of you is trying to empty their piggy bank or gatorade bottles full of change, it takes forever and is just frustrating, lol.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd fill that with beer and put the pennies in an empty milk jug:-) Brewing is one of my other hobbies..

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Looks like it's a 1940's bottle! Pretty cool in my book! I love old collectibles. Not worth a ton, but it doesn't matter. I like it!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CC. Maybe that jug would be good to hold your hoard of wheat cents.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
My mom suggested the same thing, but I have them in this right now. It counts them as I put them in the jar but once I fill it up I think I will do that and move my copper cents to this 2.5 gallon bucket I have which will hold roughly 15,000 copper cents, about 100lbs. I don't know how I will be able to move that but it can be done. And I can stack those in my closet.

image-3167787990.jpg

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The problem is the narrow neck. At the coin counter a couple of times I helped some older people who've stored up their change in those and milk jugs and they simply don't come out quickly and you're left holding it awkwardly shoving a pencil or ruler in there to try to get the coins out quickly.

The problem is both the narrow neck and the weight of all the pennies on the ones trying to exit the neck.

You might want to try emptying out the $20 you have in there now by first inverting the jug, then seeing how easily the coins drop out.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
The problem is both the narrow neck and the weight of all the pennies on the ones trying to exit the neck.

You might want to try emptying out the $20 you have in there now by first inverting the jug, then seeing how easily the coins drop out.

I just did and put them into my new 2.5 gallon bucket took less than a minute.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread