I made a huge mistake and lost alot of money. I need your help.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Knowledge is power in the coin collecting hobby. The person who knows their stuff will be able to make a greater profit when compared to someone who does little research. There's stories of people who know their die varieties and will go to a coin show and buy a worn large cent for $20 from one dealer because they know its a rare variety, identify it as that variety and then sell it to another dealer by telling them its a rare variety and make 10x the money within the span of a couple minutes.

Heck, we exploit this disconnect between a true identified value and the value that someone thinks something is every day in our hobby. There are people that think a 1964 Kennedy is worth 50 cents and so they spend it at a bank, when in reality we know that its worth $9 or so in scrap silver, of course if someone really knows their stuff they might be able to know that its a rare die variety that can sell for $90 and they'll buy it from someone for $9 and sell it to someone else for $90.

You learned a lesson: don't sell things unless you know the true value of them. The person with a good eye and who is well-read on coins will always come out ahead.

If you don't want something like this to happen again, buy a few books or read online about various die varieties and check your coins over before you sell them.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a 66 error? possible to probable.
Found a 66 sms error? maybe.
Found a 66 SMS error worth $1500 according to some book or grading service? possible to unlikely.
Found a 66 SMS error and SOLD it for $1500? Highly, highly unlikely.

I'd consider calling him out on it. He doesn't have to show you anything but if he thought you'd be interested in knowing, he wouldn't have an issue showing you how he sold it. If he does have issue, he's lying.

OO

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowledge is power in the coin collecting hobby. The person who knows their stuff will be able to make a greater profit when compared to someone who does little research. There's stories of people who know their die varieties and will go to a coin show and buy a worn large cent for $20 from one dealer because they know its a rare variety, identify it as that variety and then sell it to another dealer by telling them its a rare variety and make 10x the money within the span of a couple minutes.

Heck, we exploit this disconnect between a true identified value and the value that someone thinks something is every day in our hobby. There are people that think a 1964 Kennedy is worth 50 cents and so they spend it at a bank, when in reality we know that its worth $9 or so in scrap silver, of course if someone really knows their stuff they might be able to know that its a rare die variety that can sell for $90 and they'll buy it from someone for $9 and sell it to someone else for $90.

You learned a lesson: don't sell things unless you know the true value of them. The person with a good eye and who is well-read on coins will always come out ahead.

If you don't want something like this to happen again, buy a few books or read online about various die varieties and check your coins over before you sell them.

Well said! it's all a smarts game

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sounds like a grade A moron.

If he was legit - he would be asking you the rest of your halves at a very good rate, and staying MUM on the fact that he make a cool 1.5 Thousand dollars.

He sounds like a Grade A, liar, Moron, aggravater. Other than that I have no feelings on the subject.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bonjour! Deal is done either way...

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
lol how is that any different from finding silver coins worth more then 50 cents win a few lose a few good luck next time i never look for errors

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably jerking your chain. I mean, why bother?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just laugh it off. You got a tiller very cheap. But after all I think he is completely lying...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No, you ripped yourself off. If you aren't happy about it, learn from your mistakes - but don't blame others.

Well said Jersey! I am a big fan of personal respinsability...

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were happy with the transaction until you learned more info- it was a fair transaction to you and you were pleased with it, go with it!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Win some and you loose some...

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, IF the coins were errors and if you had caught them , would you be willing to take them back to wherever YOU got them and told them that they were worth MUCH more than you paid for them. Don't think so. Consider it a done deal and a cheap tiller. I think both parties should be satisfied. Just my 2 cents worth.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well, IF the coins were errors and if you had caught them , would you be willing to take them back to wherever YOU got them and told them that they were worth MUCH more than you paid for them. Don't think so. Consider it a done deal and a cheap tiller. I think both parties should be satisfied. Just my 2 cents worth.
Very, Very, Very good point!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread