Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP

68MUDSTUD

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, if all s-mints are proofs, what are the ones with no mint mark? Sorry for the noob questions.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no mint mark coins are Philadelphia mints, although some have the p on them depending on the denomination/date. Not all s mints are proofs, but all proofs (maybe with a few exceptions) are generally S-mints. Trust me youll know when you see a proof, if you are unsure it's probably just an uncirculated coin

OP
OP

68MUDSTUD

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no mint mark coins are Philadelphia mints, although some have the p on them depending on the denomination/date. Not all s mints are proofs, but all proofs (maybe with a few exceptions) are generally S-mints. Trust me youll know when you see a proof, if you are unsure it's probably just an uncirculated coin

Thanks for the info! If you hunt dimes, do you ever find proofs? I'm 10 rolls into this box and not a single S-mint mark. lol

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
1955 was last year the dime had a S mint mark that was meant for circulation.

I have found many proof dimes. Half dollars seem to be the most common proofs found and cents the hardest.

MU

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1955 was last year the dime had a S mint mark that was meant for circulation.

I have found many proof dimes. Half dollars seem to be the most common proofs found and cents the hardest.

MU

Except the 68-74 S mint cents, those are business strikes...

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pre-1965 minted proofs will not have a mint mark.

1968 to present day proof coins will have an "S" mint mark.

There are some years where circulation coins AND some proof coins were both marked with an S.

San Francisco did mint some circulation coinage from 1968 to 1974 (as mentioned above) and in 1979-1981 (the SBA dollar).

You can tell the difference in the circulation S mint coins and the proof S mint coins just by looking at them (unless they are really damaged or something).

Example:
1970-S nickel
Circulation vs. Proof

View attachment 774392

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread