A good deal or a bad deal?

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I know that this is not CRH related sorry. However, I have gotten to know some of you, and I at least know who most of you are, so I decided to post this here.

I had never been to my LCS in nearly three years of collecting, so I went on saturday to by a couple oz but mainly to just look around. I paid roughly $5 per oz over spot for $3 face value of silver. His original price was roughly $2-3 over spot but then came sales tax. I really don't think that it was a good deal, but since I was only buying $3 in face I didn't try to haggle the price. Also, I got two fairly nice Walkers for the same price that I would have gotten a worn Kennedy, which is the only reason that I'm not actually frustrated with the price. He was charging 21.5/1 over face that day. Next time, since I have already bought from him and I feel a little bit more comfortable, I will try to get that price dropped. So is this a problem that most of you run into? A decent price becoming a bad one after tax? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks, 44 Dimes

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do better keep looking! Good luck

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought ten dollars face of decent mercury dimes last friday for $210 out the door. Depends on the state you live in and the particular dealers "specialty" I suppose.

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
Im in Washington State and we cant charge sales tax on coin sales or bullion. are you sure they can charge you sales tax? you did not get a good deal either way. Especially with silver the way it is right now. I am getting silver for spot plus $1 from my LCS.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My local jewelry store and LCS don't charge tax if you pay in cash.

If you are happy with what you got, then you shouldn't worry, just make sure if you are afraid of overpaying that you ask for a final total before you pay.

HH!
- DS

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in Washington State and we cant charge sales tax on coin sales or bullion. are you sure they can charge you sales tax? you did not get a good deal either way. Especially with silver the way it is right now. I am getting silver for spot plus $1 from my LCS.

About the only thing they don't tax here. Lol. Good for us though!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dimes, I live in ny and they charge sales tax on coin and bullion purchases under $1000. Over $1000 there is no tax. No idea why. I'm on good terms with my LCS and I can get junk silver with no tax. When I buy gold I go to a bigger coin shop but they stick to the $1000 rule so I don't go there unless I'm going to spend at least that much. It's bad enough to pay a premium over spot for ASE, etc but sales tax on top of that is a deal breaker for me.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Even tho the spot price of silver is falling, dealers are still getting good premiums on junk over spot. That is, if you can find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions