Beginner Finds

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I'm fairly new to CRH. I started collecting coins around the age of 6 and it just kinda faded out when I hit high school. I went to a gun show 2 months ago and there was a coin dealer there who I bought a nice mercury dime from and some silver dollars. I then became bit by the collectors bug again and began hitting up banks once or twice a week. This is my first time to CRH. I started with picking up halves from banks which has resulted in 9-40% and 3-90% so far. Then I started on cents, which have yielded a nice 1910, a 1911, 1917, 1919, 1937, and about 80 other wheat cents. I have also searched a box of nickles, which yielded a 1939 and a couple other older dates. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on what the funnest stuff to hunt is. I'm not all about maximizing silver intake, I'm simply looking for some good collection pieces. Thanks in advance for the input

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on what the funnest stuff to hunt is. I'm not all about maximizing silver intake, I'm simply looking for some good collection pieces. Thanks in advance for the input

That is basically an unaswerable question by anyone other than yourself. What is most fun to search, for you, may not be for others. If you consider all 95% copper cents "keepers", then cents will give you by far the most keepers per box. If you consider all pre-1960 nickels keepers, then most boxes of nickels will give you several keepers. Dimes, quarters, and halves do not, on average, produce many keepers (if any) per box. For me personally, I like silver and don't really enjoy searching cents or nickels. About halfway through a box of either and I'm getting bored. I primarily stick to halves and occasionally "mix it up" with something else.

Search what you enjoy searching and you can't go wrong. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread