The System Crumbles before my eyes...

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone.. Well, today was a bad day.. It looks like the charges finally hit my region.. Two banks today told me that they will soon be implementing a fee for ordering boxes of halves.. I assume I will hear the same from my other branches this week. I will just have to see If some of my other pickup branches are out of this "region" where the charges are already being implemented.. I assume it is going to happen to all branches soon enough.. Both the tellers were extremely nice about it.. They just said that the regional managers have noticed what is going on and they are trying to put an end to it.. Neither vault teller knew exactly what the cost would be and said they will notify me next week when I pickup my boxes.. Either way, I am taking a break from volume hunting over the summer, so even though it sucks that i am getting shut down, at least it happened at a good time.. I will probably pay the fees for two more weeks and then just end it.. Come fall I will start seeking out a new bank to pickup from.. This bank holds 90% of my savings and I certainly have a lot of money in there. It will just be interesting to see how they try to win me back when I go in to close my account :laughing7:.. Oh well.. I would rather keep my savings with a bank that will go above and beyond for me.. Thank God I didn't take out a mortgage though.. Regardless, like other people have said, Hunt them while you can, because its getting harder and harder these days.. Now pardon me while I go try and find a new cow to milk some silver from.. Happy Hunting Peeps..

Upvote 0

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wal mart has a self checkout machine that accepts coins from a cup, i'm thinking about doing cents and nickels at a higher volume. They are a low enough denomination I can warrant holding on to and just feed the machine change late at night when i go in for groceries or something.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wal mart has a self checkout machine that accepts coins from a cup, i'm thinking about doing cents and nickels at a higher volume. They are a low enough denomination I can warrant holding on to and just feed the machine change late at night when i go in for groceries or something.

I am a halves and dimes kinda guy...

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dimes it would take, dont know about halves i havn't tried it yet. Only reason i say nickels and cents is because i cant figure out how to buy 1000 worth of merchandise at walmart every week. a box of nickels and a box of cents is only a buck twenty five, but i would still have a hard time spending that much at walmart weekly.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear it Ag! That's a rough break. I'm not looking forward to that day here.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear it Ag! That's a rough break. I'm not looking forward to that day here.

Yea.. I guess it was inevitable.. Now comes the hard part.. I need to find a bank that orders from the courier I was tapping.. Looks like I have some work to do tomorrow.. I am gonna try and setup something new before I leave for the Summer.. That way I can just come back and start ordering..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped mid winter. I just wasn't finding much.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear man, hope you can find some more banks to order... a word of advise from somebody who has been at this for almost 5 years half hunting, start with 1 box every week or two, and slowly work your way up to more boxes more frequently, not only will this establish a relationship, but you won't get cut off too quickly.
hh
buff

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear man, hope you can find some more banks to order... a word of advise from somebody who has been at this for almost 5 years half hunting, start with 1 box every week or two, and slowly work your way up to more boxes more frequently, not only will this establish a relationship, but you won't get cut off too quickly.
hh
buff

Absolutely buff.. I plan too... That is why it is so devastating.. The gradual process of building up volume takes awhile.. Oh well.. I am going to have to take my time with the new pickup bank I find..

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many boxes where you doing per bank/wk?

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Wal Mart has an amazing bank open 7 days a week til 7 with an awesome coin machine. Holds 6000.00 before it needs to be changed. On top of that the tellers are the coolest people about changing them for me. I buy them treats all the time. And if I miss a dirty silver dime the machine will reject all silver for me. It's saved me three dimes so far.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I am wondering if all the fee per box stuff is just for halves or all boxes in general? If its just for halves, go to other denominations. quarters have both canadian and american silver, dimes are the same and good old nickels have war nickels and buffs. I have mainly been doing nickels since its just a whole lot cheaper to order them through my workplace. haven't been feeling the greatest. Thankfully its not the flu or anything catchy, just good old medical issues. I am going to borrow a couple of milk crates from my work place so I can load up all my coinage into my car and thursday I am taking either my mom or my cat into town. And while there I am going to dump my coinage. Check ya later.

sincerely, Garoulady

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching 12-15 boxes a week total.. One bank was ordering me 4 boxes weekly and the others would order 2... The charge was implemented by PNC bank.. I was told by the vault tellers that there will now be charges for any boxed coin ordered. Not just halves... One said it is becoming company policy so they can cut cost. Either way, I am pretty sure I know the manager who screwed me over and brought it to the attention of the higher ups. Like I said, I order from a couple branches that are pretty far away from the others, so I am hoping I can get a couple more free weeks out of them.. Such a bummer though.. It's gonna take awhile to set something up again. I am just wondering how much the fees will be.. I might just pay for the boxes.. At least until I organize a new setup.. You guys think I should be looking for local small banks to order from or big banks? I often feel like local banks are willing to go above any beyond more than the big boys.. I just wanna tap the same courier I was hitting before.. All other couriers are dry in my area.. It looks like it will be a tough journey..

Last edited:

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to manage a restaurant and we banked with PNC til they started charging buisness accounts $1000 a year for change orders.

We told them we would switch banks if they did, so we switched. We were depositing over a mil a year.. Also my friends wife works for a pnc, A couple months ago I asked her if she could order me boxes. She said they charge a fee.

Your branch is prob just slow to adapt company policy..

I hope you find another bank, good luck!

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to manage a restaurant and we banked with PNC til they started charging buisness accounts $1000 a year for change orders.

We told them we would switch banks if they did, so we switched. We were depositing over a mil a year.. Also my friends wife works for a pnc, A couple months ago I asked her if she could order me boxes. She said they charge a fee.

Your branch is prob just slow to adapt company policy..

I hope you find another bank, good luck!

Wow.. That is incredibly cheap of them considering how much money you were depositing.. Yea I was told by the one teller that they have been charging fees to businesses for coin, but she just never charged me and apparently overtime someone noticed.. Ahh..

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Any fee is rediculous in my view. I understand about making money, but go after all those people who are bouncing checks left and right, not hard working folks like us. I called around to local banks and what some banks charge for my small amount is just crazy. Like Chase I know you have to have 100 in your checking all the time or it will charge you a fee every day that it is below 100 dollars. How's that for screwy? I have found in Michigan two banks that are nice about ordering boxes. I would keep searching, keep calling. If anything call some of your local grocery stores. See if they will order an occasional box for ya. I know it won't be the 12-15 you are use to but if you grocery shop at this store, you can pick up the coin while shopping, so no wasted gas really. I have been doing it all the time.

Hope that helps a bit,
Garoulady

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any fee is rediculous in my view. I understand about making money, but go after all those people who are bouncing checks left and right, not hard working folks like us. I called around to local banks and what some banks charge for my small amount is just crazy. Like Chase I know you have to have 100 in your checking all the time or it will charge you a fee every day that it is below 100 dollars. How's that for screwy? I have found in Michigan two banks that are nice about ordering boxes. I would keep searching, keep calling. If anything call some of your local grocery stores. See if they will order an occasional box for ya. I know it won't be the 12-15 you are use to but if you grocery shop at this store, you can pick up the coin while shopping, so no wasted gas really. I have been doing it all the time.

Hope that helps a bit,
Garoulady

I will find a solution.. It will just take some time.. Finding a bank that is supplied by the same courier is gonna be the hardest thing..

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry my man my advice to you is visit new banks, use google maps (if you have not already done so). I pay the fee at one of my banks, because at this point, I realise its just a hobby and what else would i be doing if it weren't for C/R/H/'n

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks man. I know I'm pretty new, but I currently have three different chains of banks that will order for me:
Two are large national banks and one is a small credit union. All branches of the credit union seem extremely eager to please. They have flat out told me that they will order as many boxes as I want and it isn't a problem. This credit union also uses my prefered supplier.
To be perfectly honest, though, these are the only three chains of banks that I have asked to order for me. I have never been turned down thus far except for one cranky teller at one branch of a chain that normally has no problem ordering for me.

I think your best bet is looking for a bank that has a high concentration of branches that are located conveniently for you and go there and bring up your coin ordering habits prior to opening the account. If they say no, move on to the next likely candidate bank chain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread