Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I went down to TX this past weekend. On the way home she was like "Can we stop at that yard sale?" about every five minutes. After a while she says "Hey, that estate sale has coins!". Okay...maybe we can stop...but only for a minute. This guy and his wife are running it. Guy says "We got a coin collector here?" "Oh me, I'm more of a recreational collector...not too serious." "Okay well these ones here (barber, walkers, and bens marked $29) I can do for $20." "Yeah, I'll let you know." I see a basket full of cents and random foreign coins. "What's the deal with this basket?" "Those are just random coins. I don't really know a lot about coins." "Have they been searched through." "No, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway." As I'm searching through the massive pile I begin to notice it's all 1930-1958 wheaties. "How much per coin?" "One dollar" :BangHead: Ridiculous prices! Other prices include steel cents for $7, presidential dollar coins (presidents 1-20) $2.75 each, post 1970 halves for $2.75 each. The wife comes up and tell me "If they're before 1965, they are 90% silver. From 1965-1970, they are 40% silver. The ones after 1970 still have some silver, but the reason that you would want one is because the government keeps melting them down and really they're a big part of our history." :icon_scratch: Anyway, no dice in TX!

Today's CRHing results were pretty good. In one of my prior posts I mentioned that there was a vault manager that said she would be willing to order me boxes if I had an account with them for $200. Well, I opened up the account a couple weeks ago and ordered my first box ever last week. It came in today. It was a halves box that had 5 enders (2 reverse). Sorry guys, got a little lazy today and didn't take pictures of the enders. Anyway, the "Law of Enders" didn't come through, as 5 enders yielded 20 40%'s. A really big personal find today was my first silver quarter! :occasion18: I got $90 in MWR from the bank. Also, I got a box of dimes and scored 2 Roosies (1948 & 1964D). Overall, good day. Thanks for reading. HH :sleepy2:

Today's Finds
40%'s: 20
Roosies: 2
Quarters: 1

Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry about the estate sale. Some people will realize it wont move and come down on the price later. Go back and make them a offer for the whole thing. Good luck.
cooper 36

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just let them keep them all.

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry about the estate sale. Some people will realize it wont move and come down on the price later. Go back and make them a offer for the whole thing. Good luck.
cooper 36

That's good advice...I'll have to use that technique sometime down the road. I don't think we'll be seeing these people ever again.

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would just let them keep them all.

haha...pretty much what happened. I actually tried to sell them some of my 40%'s but he said he didn't want any Kennedy's. He offered me $10 per pre-1964 half. I said thanks but no thanks.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, we were in TX over the weekend, I picked up some rolls of cents to take back, hoping I'll get some more S mint wheats or something I'm missing for the books, and not only did I barely find any wheats, but I only found about 25 coppers in the $13 of rolls I had. Someone's busy in TX...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread