JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bid on what you can see! Anything over that is a gamble.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to check others and people are bidding $31+ with $3.95 postage

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to check others and people are bidding $31+ with $3.95 postage

Ridiculous. Lol. I can't believe what people will pay sometimes. Especially for "unsearched" rolls. No such thing in my opinion.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridiculous. Lol. I can't believe what people will pay sometimes. Especially for "unsearched" rolls. No such thing in my opinion.

The one I linked too is definitely unsearched, it's a Dunbar bank wrapped roll. true it could be re-rolled, but if you search through enough boxes you'll find ones like this, so there's really no need too. But yea pretty much all other rolls on ebay are searched, especially the ones in older wrappers with seated ends lol

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked him how much the roll weighs...bet he doesnt own a scale! Or so he will say

lol, oh well there'd have to be quite a bit of silver in there to tell by weight. wear is always an issue

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
lol, oh well there'd have to be quite a bit of silver in there to tell by weight. wear is always an issue

There is the issue of worn coins, but you can know that that is not an 11 silver coin roll, and maybe a 2 or 3 coin roll. Not reliable to just check the heavier rolls, but it is close.

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
His reply: hi, I think you may be asking about a different auction of mine. Are you wondering about the half dollar roll with the proof ender? If so, I'm getting about 8 1/2 ounces on my postal scale, but I have no clue how accurate it is though since it's an old spring based one.

- antiqueatrium

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Every silver half in circulation has a 1-20 chance of becoming an ender... Ben and Liberty, just as proofs, have the same exact chance when going through the roller... Don't really see the point in buying an "Ender" roll on the hope there is another but to each his own... It could happen- but an exact and accurate weight still leaves a little room for a guess on composition wear and coin count...
PEACE

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
People who buy these unsearched lots get what they deserve. How much common sense does it take to deduce this-- the seller obviously knows how much certain coins go for as they advertise, "Possible VDB S?" On unsearched penny rolls with a reverse VDB showing.

That said, Is there a single person who actually believes that if you got a wheat ender and saw a VDB, you would not be ripping that open as fast as you could? If people bid on these ludicrous hopes of scoring a 1909 VDB S, or other key dates, then the adage "there's a sucker born every minute" will live on for infamy.

MU

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounded like an answer intended to put a potential buyer at ease. I think the chances are better than 50/50 that portions of the reply are BS. It may weigh 8.5 oz on an old postal scale, but I bet he has a better gram scale, and checked the weight.

There is another big factor on value besides enders and weight...the knowledge of other rolls in the box. For instance, I've had many boxes that I would be willing to sell a number of remaining rolls for $10 each, just to avoid returning them. On the other-hand, I've had a box where I wouldn't sell the remaining rolls for $40 per roll.

If the seller is selling rolls, he's a CRHer. I'd be willing to bet he opened several rolls in the box. There's a reason he's selling them.

OO

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His reply: hi, I think you may be asking about a different auction of mine. Are you wondering about the half dollar roll with the proof ender? If so, I'm getting about 8 1/2 ounces on my postal scale, but I have no clue how accurate it is though since it's an old spring based one.

- antiqueatrium

Wow an old spring based postal scale? weird answer!

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounded like an answer intended to put a potential buyer at ease. I think the chances are better than 50/50 that portions of the reply are BS. It may weigh 8.5 oz on an old postal scale, but I bet he has a better gram scale, and checked the weight.

There is another big factor on value besides enders and weight...the knowledge of other rolls in the box. For instance, I've had many boxes that I would be willing to sell a number of remaining rolls for $10 each, just to avoid returning them. On the other-hand, I've had a box where I wouldn't sell the remaining rolls for $40 per roll.

If the seller is selling rolls, he's a CRHer. I'd be willing to bet he opened several rolls in the box. There's a reason he's selling them.

OO

yep I'd say the context of what box it came out of is the single most important variable

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on my excel spreadsheet, I'm more likely to find a 2nd silver in a roll that has a silver ender than in other rolls. It seems as though collections don't always get evenly distributed

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
People who buy these unsearched lots get what they deserve. How much common sense does it take to deduce this-- the seller obviously knows how much certain coins go for as they advertise, "Possible VDB S?" On unsearched penny rolls with a reverse VDB showing.

That said, Is there a single person who actually believes that if you got a wheat ender and saw a VDB, you would not be ripping that open as fast as you could? If people bid on these ludicrous hopes of scoring a 1909 VDB S, or other key dates, then the adage "there's a sucker born every minute" will live on for infamy.

MU

A roll may be seeded with a poor shape 1909-S VDB (attracts feedback, and can be bought with the profits from the other rolls).

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A roll may be seeded with a poor shape 1909-S VDB (attracts feedback, and can be bought with the profits from the other rolls).

exactly, well put. If I were going to do this scheme, I would put real valuable coins in the first few rolls which would ensure I would sell a lot in the future at a large profit margin.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I won one today- it's a '68 ender- won it for 11+3 postage( didnt bid much over face value) so I figured that's pretty much face value- ill let ya all know what I find once I get and open it-

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good idea! ill save all my ender rolls to sell now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread