Do you keep the 68-74-S cent business strikes?

68MUDSTUD

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't rare. Its kind of an urban legend of sorts that they are. Dunno how or why it got started, but its been around since I was a kid in the 1970s.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all of the S mint '68-S - '74-S that I find but that's because I don't find a lot of them on the East Coast. It's personal preference. I'm still looking for a 1974-S from circulation.

HH!
- DS

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to keep them as well but soon found that they really aren't worth anything. However, like "philinchio" said, keep an eye out for the 69-S error.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Unless they are BU condition, you will not sell them. I have full rolls of BU 68-74S and always have a set listed on eBay. Sometimes they sell, but most times the auction ends with no bids.

MU

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
MU - When I have something I want to sell on ebay like your coins, I no longer use the auction. I put them up at my buy it now price and use the eternal listing (As I call it). It lists for 30 days, expires, and then renewed automatically for another 30 days. SO forth and so on. No extra fees, it is always there, and I then just forget about it until I get orders for all that I have in stock and sell out. Sometimes takes me 120 days, but they sell and I don't have to monitor the auction. :-) I used this for the new ATB quarters I found in BU rolls and also some 2012 dimes I found early last year before they wre commonplace.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
MU - When I have something I want to sell on ebay like your coins, I no longer use the auction. I put them up at my buy it now price and use the eternal listing (As I call it). It lists for 30 days, expires, and then renewed automatically for another 30 days. SO forth and so on. No extra fees, it is always there, and I then just forget about it until I get orders for all that I have in stock and sell out. Sometimes takes me 120 days, but they sell and I don't have to monitor the auction. :-) I used this for the new ATB quarters I found in BU rolls and also some 2012 dimes I found early last year before they wre commonplace.

I do have a buy it now out there with these but prefer auctions. The simple reason is you are charged less on closing fees . (Auctions are 9% and BIN are 11%) You are also charge a insertion fee in BIN listings. Auctions are free insertion. If you just listing a few items, that is not a really big deal. However, I normally have over 100 listings each month, so those little fees become really big at the end of the month.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only keep those in really good shape to fill out my collection. I think if you did save, I'd only save the 68s, 72s and 73s, and only those in good shape because those are the lowest mintage numbers. A few rolls wouldn't be that much of a hassle, and maybe by the time your kids inherit them they'll be worth a little something, but still, probably not much.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep them, since there are not common around here. However, they have no extra value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread