My first Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!!

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Went through my second box of nickles last night and too my surprise, 5 or 6 rolls in I found a buffalo on the end of the roll :hello2:. The data is very warn. The best I can tell, it is a 1919-D. I have read about some people using "nick-a-date". However, some have said that it leaves an acid stain on the coin. Is there any other way to bring the date out on this.

Can't wait to go through the second box that I picked up yesterday. Interestingly enough I have yet to find a war nickle, so I am hoping to run across one tonight.

First Buffalo.jpg

Upvote 0

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Good luck on the second box. I bet there's a War Nick in there for you. To my knowledge the only other way to pull a date off a dateless buff is to soak it in white vinegar for several days. The problem with this is it leaves the whole nickel dull. I tried it and although I could start to see a date I still wasn't able to confirm what exactly it was. Maybe I needed to let it sit longer. It's worth a try I guess.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had luck using vinegar and baking soda. yes you get the reaction that everyone knows and loves but you use that reaction to clean and hopefully get the date to come out more. I have had luck just turning it back and forth under a strong light with a magnifier.

Congrats and hope you find more.
Sincerely, Garoulady

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you find in the rest of the box!! Last time I had a Buffalo ender the box yielded 18 Buffalo nickels.

Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
In a plastic roll box or customer wrapped???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions