Laughable

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I opened an account with a local bank so I have more options to order- went to a different branch to pick up dimes, I did go there last week looking for halves but other than that never been there- any ways I asked for 1 or 2 boxes of dimes if they had it- the teller went to look and the teller next said there was a fee for business, I said ok but I was a new member at they weren't for a biz. He went in to accuse me of lying and that why would I need that many dimes if it wasn't for a biz- I told him I was collecting them trying to fill my book(not really, looking for silver) but he continued to argue with me- well when my teller came back she said she had one but if it was for a biz I'd have to pay the fee I told her it was personal and she said I'm sorry but only biz use that much coins- I just laughed and said ok no thanks and walked out- man I wish this branch had a coin machine so I could dump all my dimes- I still may use it to dump my halves at-

Upvote 0

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burn man, that sucks..when they ask you questions on why you need them can be the most awkward time ever..I remember a few weeks back (kicking myself now) i told them i needed some nickels for my "garage sale" and i swear they asked me 20 questions..one of the douche bags behind the counter said "why dont you just round everything up so you wont need the change", he must have thought he was real smart coming up with that great idea! Guess its on to the next bank!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burn man, that sucks..when they ask you questions on why you need them can be the most awkward time ever..I remember a few weeks back (kicking myself now) i told them i needed some nickels for my "garage sale" and i swear they asked me 20 questions..one of the douche bags behind the counter said "why dont you just round everything up so you wont need the change", he must have thought he was real smart coming up with that great idea! Guess its on to the next bank!

Should have told him huh, that is a great idea! Maybe all business should just round up so a car isn't $29,999 or a can of corn isn't .99 cents, or just go ahead and round the interest on my account up to pay me even numbers also. Maybe he should learn business tactics to sell stuff to people instead of thinking he is the guru of money.

Last edited:

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 100% agree what a joke that guy was, him and his cronies also thought that a box of nickels costs $200 dollars, I assured them that its 100, this is what happens when fiat money dominates, bank employees don't even know basic stuff.......I ended up not getting any coin from them because they said they are a "small in grocery store branch" try our corporate locations....but since they are so low on coin and dont know how much comes in a box, i officially have a new dump bank lmao..Ill school them on the subject..

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Sorry you are having some troubles but, sometimes we make our own luck and it just seems to me that things could have been handled better.

I'd say one mistake you made was asking for "1 or 2 boxes of dimes" instead of trying to ease into a relationship with some new tellers at a new bank with something like, "I was wondering if there was any chance that I could get a box of dimes?"

Then you start arguing with them, it usually takes two people to carry on an argument, about the fact that you are not a business. The one Teller then even accused you of lying even though he didn't know what you were really lying about, looking for silver instead of collecting, and then when you didn't get want you wanted you laughed at them and walked out of the bank. What was that funny part again, I must have missed it.

I was at one of the Regions Banks that started charging fees for ordering boxes last week and when I mentioned to the Vault Teller that I thought that people would just start dumping a bunch of coins on them now that they are charging the fees she said that they have fees on people dumping coins also if it was a whole box or a large amount. Looks like the days of Banks being Burger Kings and everyone having things their way are becoming a thing of the past. Adapt or die might start to apply.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid a loan today with $1000 in halves (re-rolled and boxed) and they tried to tell me I had to go to the bank and exchange them. I pulled out my iphone, started a video recording and said "This is all I have to pay, this is legal tender for all debts which I'm trying to repay you. Are you refusing to accept this payment?". She said yes, on video. I have paid on this loan $200/month in halves for the last six months, and last month the chase branch they used said they no longer would accept half dollar deposits.

Somebody in that loan office is probably lucky that I waited a half hour to get a regional supervisor on the phone. The supervisor knew I was right, and told them they had to accept it and deal with the bank. If they hadn't accepted, I probably could have gotten the loan nullified in small claims court, easily.

I'm not going to pay the loan in halves anymore though, they're nice women, and I only have two more little payments anyways.. The only thing I'm scratching my head about is how can a Chase branch tell a business account what kind of deposits they'll accept?!

Last edited:

68MUDSTUD

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i like jokes to but they wont let you pay so you paid with mony

Dude, please go back to grade school to learn how to form a grammatically correct sentence. I've tried to ignore your posts, but dang, man, you are making us all look like idiots.

Sorry Russell, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I probably would have done the same thing you did, but not as polite.

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you are having some troubles but, sometimes we make our own luck and it just seems to me that things could have been handled better.

I'd say one mistake you made was asking for "1 or 2 boxes of dimes" instead of trying to ease into a relationship with some new tellers at a new bank with something like, "I was wondering if there was any chance that I could get a box of dimes?"

Then you start arguing with them, it usually takes two people to carry on an argument, about the fact that you are not a business. The one Teller then even accused you of lying even though he didn't know what you were really lying about, looking for silver instead of collecting, and then when you didn't get want you wanted you laughed at them and walked out of the bank. What was that funny part again, I must have missed it.

I was at one of the Regions Banks that started charging fees for ordering boxes last week and when I mentioned to the Vault Teller that I thought that people would just start dumping a bunch of coins on them now that they are charging the fees she said that they have fees on people dumping coins also if it was a whole box or a large amount. Looks like the days of Banks being Burger Kings and everyone having things their way are becoming a thing of the past. Adapt or die might start to apply.

Thanks for the tips(I think)

I asked for the dimes the same way I ask at every single bank I go into- very friendly and smiling- I know usually they don't have 2 boxes but I don't want to drive all over town if I can hit just a couple and get my 4 boxes- that's why I ask for 1 or 2 if they have that many
And ya maybe I should've just ignored the dude teller but I thought it funny he wasn't even the one helping me just sticking his nose where it doesn't belong- I kinda felt bad for the lady helping me cause she seemed confused and was going to help me-
And my laugh was the kind of chuckle when you're amused-I was amused at the nosy fella- I did thank the lady teller helping me

Its all cool though I called several of the branches and got several very friendly managers willing to order for me :-)

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paid a loan today with $1000 in halves (re-rolled and boxed) and they tried to tell me I had to go to the bank and exchange them. I pulled out my iphone, started a video recording and said "This is all I have to pay, this is legal tender for all debts which I'm trying to repay you. Are you refusing to accept this payment?". She said yes, on video. I have paid on this loan $200/month in halves for the last six months, and last month the chase branch they used said they no longer would accept half dollar deposits.

Somebody in that loan office is probably lucky that I waited a half hour to get a regional supervisor on the phone. The supervisor knew I was right, and told them they had to accept it and deal with the bank. If they hadn't accepted, I probably could have gotten the loan nullified in small claims court, easily.

I'm not going to pay the loan in halves anymore though, they're nice women, and I only have two more little payments anyways.. The only thing I'm scratching my head about is how can a Chase branch tell a business account what kind of deposits they'll accept?!

Loan nullification. Lol

Apr 6, 2013
newport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im aways thinking i droped out of skool in the 6 grade and i learnd to write and read months ago im a bit slow but im been ok since i became a celebrety and i got cumputer so im new to the web

Last edited:

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im aways thinking i droped out of skool in the 6 grade and i learnd to write and read months ago im a bit slow but im been ok since i became a celebrety and i got cumputer so im new to the web

The dudes on Howard Stern,.!! Too funny, I bet you fit in we'll their.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to report Howard any more, Howard was a former member already banned, he is banned again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I just laughed and said ok no thanks and walked out- man I wish this branch had a coin machine so I could dump all my dimes- I still may use it to dump my halves at-
Let me know where that branch is - I've been meaning to take a dump road trip. :icon_farao:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap I have to scroll through a quarter of this page just to get through your sig lol

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, there are a few things that meed to be addressed on this thread:

1. Banks have every right to refuse to sell you a single roll of coins, let alone a box or multiple boxes. They can also charge fees. Even if you aren't technically a business, if you're buying as much or more rolled coin than many businesses, they can either force you to open a business account and pay the fees or refuse you. The banks pay for those boxes and can pretty much do as they wish with them. Think about it...if you owned a business would you give away things that you had to pay for? Does that make sound business sense? If you can find a bank that is willing to sell boxes, great. But thinking that a bank has to sell a single roll to you with is without a fee is whats laughable. Even if you have an account, they can close that account for any reason whatsoever and send you packing.

2. If you try to use an uncooperative bank as a massive dump bank to "teach them a lesson", you very well may run into the same problems. Again, they can refuse the coins, charge you a fee, and/or close your account.

3. Mercury, I believe that if your case of attempting to make a loan payment with rolled coin had went to court, you would have likely lost. I think what happened was that the regional supervisor you spoke with correctly surmised that it would be much less of a hassle to just accept the halves than fight it. Even if they beat you in court, and I think they most likely would have, it would have cost them more in legal fees, time, and trouble than having to deal with your half dollars costs them. Had your payment amount been $100,000+ instead of $1000 or if you were attempting to pay with bags of unrolled cents, I believe your situation might have had a different outcome. The law concerning this is a bit vague. It would likely come down to a judge's ruling, and its very possible that 2 different judges would rule differently. But, I just don't believe that I can go purchase a $250,000 house, show up to my mortgage holders office a few days later with 25 million cents, and if they do not accept it as payment, then the house is mine free and clear. I'd lay 20-1 odds I couldn't win that battle in court. I remember reading an article somewhere online in the past several months about a guy attempting to pay some sort of disputed utility bill with a bunch of cents. They refused to accept them and it was upheld. While coins are indeed "legal tender for all debts public and private", individuals and businesses are free to specify which form(s) of legal tender they will or will not accept. For example, most convenience stores in my area will not accept any notes larger than $20. This article touches on the subject, and you can see how vague the law is worded and how a judge's ruling could go either way. snopes.com: Debt Payment in Pennies

CRHing is a finesse game IMO. With more and more banks cutting costs, instituting fees, etc., its more of a finesse game than ever. Pretty much what we CRHers do is to go from bank to bank looking for handouts. We're essentially panhandlers. We try to get them to give us something for free that they had to pay for in most instances. Which type of panhandler would you be more likely to give to? The type that very kindly says something like, "Pardon me, but could you spare a little change to help me out? I'd really appreciate it." or the one who rudely says, "You have so much money, you must share some with me. I'm entitled to it." Just something to think about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread