Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 2 months I have been the victim of over $2 in pennies,$3 in nickels and $3 in dimes. I did find one silver canuck dime and keep the old pennys.walmart won't even take Canadian coins.how do I get rid of this crap? there is a local td (Toronto dominion) bank,will they exchange for real money?

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in 2 months I have been the victim of over $2 in pennies,$3 in nickels and $3 in dimes. I did find one silver canuck dime and keep the old pennys.walmart won't even take Canadian coins.how do I get rid of this crap? there is a local td (Toronto dominion) bank,will they exchange for real money?

Port, when you say wal mart won't take Canadian, I'm thinking you are dumping in a coin counter? Is it coinstar? Most coin counters will reject Canadian, except for some cents and nickels. I keep all pre 97 (copper) cents and pre 1982 (pure nickel) nickels. All Canadian cents except the plated steel (they are magnetic) are accepted by coin counters. All Canadian nickels from 1982 till they switched to steel around 2000 (not sure exactly) are accepted by coin counters as they are the same composition as US nickels. Basically if the Canadian sticks to a magnet, the counter won't take it. There are many options for disposing of unwanted Canadian but the easiest is to reroll them. If you put one, two or maybe three in a roll, it's usually not a problem. Some will say this is dishonest, but I consider Canadian coin to be a special case as a certain amount of it circulates in this country, always has, and always will. When I was dumping all my coin in counters, I just pulled them and thought maybe I would at some point, spend them in Canada. I've had to reduce my volume put through counters because of push back from my dump banks and so I've started rerolling again. So I'm slowly working through my backlog. Also I do have a local bank that will buy Canadian at a discount price of $0.93 per dollar but I've never done that. You will find a way to manage it. HH

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000_pig_bank.gif
Save them!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to further clarify,store clerks will not accept Canada coins.my c.u. has "scancoin" and "magner" machines which reject canucks.canadian coins are lighter than us coins.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
to further clarify,store clerks will not accept Canada coins.my c.u. has "scancoin" and "magner" machines which reject canucks.canadian coins are lighter than us coins.

Yes, we know. You have 3 options:

1) Roll them up [this comes with the risk of the bank finding out, and cutting off your dumping]
2) Go to Canada and spend them
3) Sell them on eBay [tourists like to get cheaper money]

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy some beer and go to a hockey game!

I have access to a coin counter where the magnet is just inside the rim of tray... can't help if I accidently knock them off into the sorter... I mean, I got them in rolls, return from whence thy came! Besides, the exchange rate is almost identical.. sometimes you even lose a few cents for taking One American Dollar for 4 Canadian Quarters.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw them in a ziplock - the pile is growing nicely. I may go to Canada this summer while in Montana, but was also thinking about bringing UK, Euro and Canadian money to one of several places in my city that will take it as a charitable contribution. At least I'll get a tax deduction for it and do some good at the same time.

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I went through 4 rolls of gold dollars the other day and found a "loonie".
loon.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I find about 25-50 Canadian dimes per box. Sometimes I roll them up mixed with US, and pay for gas.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it on eBay as "$x.xx face Canadian coins." You'll get face value or maybe more for it. Amazing.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Sell it on eBay as "$x.xx face Canadian coins." You'll get face value or maybe more for it. Amazing.

Yep, I sold a lot of $35 in Canadian change on ebay last year. It was all from crh and getting it in change. Got more than face... After fees I lost a buck or two on it, but found enough silver to make up for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread