cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went through 42 rolls of halves last night with no silver until roll #43. I got a 1953 franklin in pretty good shape. (so I am :D) The rest of the rolls were only clad.

did find several BU/AU clad and a proof that has seen much better days. looks like it might have even been a frosted proof at one time (if they were even made) It has a whitish look to it, maybe it is a silver proof. How do I tell? It is definitely a clad coin though.

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to look at is the date. Some dates were made in copper nickle only, there were no silver ones minted, not even proofs. Check the red book. Also, a silver proof will have the same silver metal tone as any other 40% silver coin, only with a mirror finish. The copper nickle proof will be grey with the bright copper edge.

I have been in your shoes before on the almost skunk. I purchased two boxes a couple of years ago and remember getting nothing until roll #100, and there was a 1964 Kennedy there. Always thought it was a little strange that with there only being one silver in all the rolls, it was the very last roll I searched that contained it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions