BU/AU

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
HI MIKE BU MEANS BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED AND I BELIEVE AU MEANS ALMOST UNCIRCULATED.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
schramm said:
HI MIKE BU MEANS BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED AND I BELIEVE AU MEANS ALMOST UNCIRCULATED.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Because the halves are found in rolls with other circulated coins the most beautiful, brilliant uncirculated coin is not really BU because it has been circulated. So it can only be called AU.

Is that correct?

I have found many BU halves, just wondering if I can really call them that if I start selling them on auctions.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If it has any trace of wear, it is AU. BU coins come from unopened original rolls. You can call a coin anything you want, but you may get called on it someday. Not a good way to build up a reputation. I know alot of people on Ebay get away with it, I suspect when the customers go to sell the coins they find out and get disappointed. I can see at some point in the future that people will be shying away from Ebay as they learn more about coins the hard way.

Best bet to maintain a good reputation would be to only call those coins BU which you are absolutely certain are BU.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Good question Cyberdan.........and good answer Jeffro.

I'll stop calling my CRHing finds BU; and use AU; as that appears to be a more accurate identifier.

Again, thanks to both of you.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I thought. Thanks for the answer.

I know a little about coins and you know what they say. "a little knowledge is dangerous" (or something to that effect)

I plan on doing the auction bit eventually and want to keep my good rep.

I probably will not do ebay though. with all their fees I would really have to over charge on shipping or misrepresent the quality of the coin to make a decent profit for my time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions