Cherrypicking....

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
We are on vacation in Florida, didn't hit any banks, but did stop in a coin shop. Got some nice stuff for ok pri es, but thought you all would like this story:

They had a jar full of foreign coins, and my daughter asked if we should look thru them. I said, the only thing I'd look for in there is silver. The lady at the counter said they get all the silver before they put them out...

Anyways, I asked how much, and they wanted fifty cents a coin. Just for fun, I looked at them, and right on top was a Canadian dime with the young queen! 1964. So much for the shop's silver finding skills. Went thru the whole thing next and found another silver dime and a quarter plus a 1930 Canadian nickle in at least XF.

Not bad for two bucks. Look everywhere. It's still out there.

Also got two 1859 Indians in G/VG for a buck each and an AU 1883 NC V nic for seventy five cents. Gotta love dealer junk trays.

Upvote 0

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few ih for a quarter apiece out of the junk bin. Even though they are common dates for two bits you cant beat that.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice little score. Love the young queen.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
An LCS in my area has one bin for junk silver, and one for non-silver coins. Found a Portuguese 100 reis (.835 I think) in the non-silver bin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread