Where to start...

KingCoin

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, noobie here! But old coin collector since a youngling. My question is I really like the coin roll hunting method. It seems neat and barely waste time and no money at all. So my question is, where is the best place to start when coin hunting? I really want silver so what is best, Dimes, Nickels, Quarters, Halves? Also, are pennies worth it?

Thanks.

-KingCoin

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver only halfs are the best.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am told that pennies and golden dollars are your best bet for silver. Remember, catch and release! :P

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Hello, noobie here! But old coin collector since a youngling. My question is I really like the coin roll hunting method. It seems neat and barely waste time and no money at all. So my question is, where is the best place to start when coin hunting? I really want silver so what is best, Dimes, Nickels, Quarters, Halves? Also, are pennies worth it?

Barely waste money I agree with. You'll waste waaaay more time than you may think though...

OP
OP
K

KingCoin

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I should of thought about my writings before I watched this video of a guys opening 2500 pennies. lol.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also have to consider the time and gas it takes driving to different banks to pick up and dump any coins you search- it can get a but much honestly-

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on how much money you can get tied up in it. If you only have a couple hundred or less, I would try dimes with any loose or CWR halves you can find. If its $500+ try ordering boxes of halves. It really just comes down to what produces for you in your area, and which coin you prefer to search. I would experiment with all of them first to get a feel for what produces in your area but stay away from the quarters.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves and Dimes... Halves and Dimes.. Dimes and Halves.... Dimes and Halves... Dimes and Halves... Halves and Dimes.... Halves and Dimes.... Halves and Dimes.... Dimes and Halves... Dime and halves.. Dimes and Halves.. Halves and Dimes.. Halves and Dimes.. Halves and Dimes....

OP
OP
K

KingCoin

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now since I am a noob, what is "loose"?
I would try dimes with any loose or CWR halves you can find.
Is that dimes and halves mixed? Also, what would I then tell the bank teller? I have always loved coins, can't wait to get into this. I just found out of the blue a 1964 Dime and It made me happy! Silver is silver. :D

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by reading through a few pages of posts and the beginners guide. You will find the answer to questions you have yet to ask...

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS, if you think there is no time or money involved you are in for a rude awakening!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTF-Picard-meme.jpg

All the information is readily available here and other sites!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
With the lack of determination self reliance you showed by asking this question instead of reading the beginner's guide, and prices of silver going down faster than a prostitute on K Street in DC, you probably should just start buying the silver from shops and online people and save yourself the headache of the hunt and the money you think you aren't going to spend. This hobby is probably not for you.

dude, no need to attack...

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple google search provides multiple sites with all the answers the OP needs.

I just spent a week working on demand with my classes. I spent an extra day on demand that other teachers didn't, creating a flow chart and practicing more examples. A lot of head nodding and correct answers from students.

Today comes around, about a third of the class did the review homework, and complaints abound when they were given the quiz. No one wants to be responsible for themselves or put the necessary effort in to learn. They expect to do well just by being in class, let alone paying attention or doing any out of class learning or work.

Because of the rapid availability of technology and information in today's society, people just expect things instantaneously, and get angry/frustrated if they have to spend the time working it out themselves.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple google search provides multiple sites with all the answers the OP needs.

I just spent a week working on demand with my classes. I spent an extra day on demand that other teachers didn't, creating a flow chart and practicing more examples. A lot of head nodding and correct answers from students.

Today comes around, about a third of the class did the review homework, and complaints abound when they were given the quiz. No one wants to be responsible for themselves or put the necessary effort in to learn. They expect to do well just by being in class, let alone paying attention or doing any out of class learning or work.

Because of the rapid availability of technology and information in today's society, people just expect things instantaneously, and get angry/frustrated if they have to spend the time working it out themselves.

Agree- just read through some posts and the newbie log in the stickies section then ask questions

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now since I am a noob, what is "loose"? Is that dimes and halves mixed? Also, what would I then tell the bank teller? I have always loved coins, can't wait to get into this. I just found out of the blue a 1964 Dime and It made me happy! Silver is silver. :D

Loose is coin not in a roll. Teller tray. And yes, silver makes us all happy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He deleted it himself which after reading is a good thing.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread