Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In... for as many ASEs that I can afford... like 10 tops right now lol

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Lets provident metals is nearly sold out. I will see if my local coin shop is selling at $26 or $27 possibly? Doubt it, but worth a shot.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread, I wonder how 90% silver coins will be affected. I mean really, who's going to sell at $23 an ounce? well, CRH streetwalker I know you are, but in general it seems there will be a lack of supply, and these coins may still sell like silver is $25-$26

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
<= $25 was my buy price, and I'm buying all the 10-ounce bars that I can get my hands on.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Everything still has nasty premiums on them, at least at my local larger-sized coin shop. Eagles were selling at $31/oz silver dollars were still at $30, heck even generic stuff was selling at $28/oz, only thing I could find that didn't have terrible premiums were some of their sterling foreign coins.

The normal cheap store that I go to was closed Saturday so I'll have to go by there next week and see, it usually reflects spot prices pretty well with next to no premium

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread, I wonder how 90% silver coins will be affected. I mean really, who's going to sell at $23 an ounce? well, CRH streetwalker I know you are, but in general it seems there will be a lack of supply, and these coins may still sell like silver is $25-$26

I just sold 12 rolls of 40% silvers last week. Before the market dipped she was only paying 3.50 per half, now she is still paying 3.25, and i just wanted to get them out of the way. I saved my 90%ers though for when prices go up.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<= $25 was my buy price, and I'm buying all the 10-ounce bars that I can get my hands on.

I've been wanting to get some ten ounce bars myself. What manufacturer do you like and where do you get them. I will probably call APMEX or provident later in the week if this trend continues.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been wanting to get some ten ounce bars myself. What manufacturer do you like and where do you get them. I will probably call APMEX or provident later in the week if this trend continues.
Get it now, Provident is out of stock on many items, some suppliers are shutting down. Shoot, I placed my order on the 5th, and it's still in processing.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011

For 10 oz bars of Silver, Engelhard and Johnson Matthey are two of the best that I have dealt with. If they are still in the factory wrapped plastic they scooped them up like they were gold no matter what the price per oz was. I like knowing ahead of time what my silver is worth and what they will pay instead of watching some guy poking away at his calculator until he comes up with a price he likes. With good 10 oz bars all I have to do is add a 0 to whatever the answer is when I ask him, "what's silver at now?" I don't know what it is right now but before silver took off at around 25 it used to be 1 dollar per oz over spot so 10 per bar to buy one. I always tried to find them locally to avoid the shipping cost but I have gotten silver from both Apmex and Gainsville Coin and been happy with them. Provident has some good prices too and it is always nice to know what they will buy it back from you at. There is nothing better than finding silver at face value but, I don't see any reason to buy more of what I find when I am buying silver. I like 10 oz bars, 99.9 rounds (they can be hard to resell at times), Canadian Coins, Eagles, and Chinese Pandas (my favorite collection). Some people are happy with just one thing but like they say variety is the spice of life.

Walla183

Sep 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 10 oz bars of Silver, Engelhard and Johnson Matthey are two of the best that I have dealt with. If they are still in the factory wrapped plastic they scooped them up like they were gold no matter what the price per oz was. I like knowing ahead of time what my silver is worth and what they will pay instead of watching some guy poking away at his calculator until he comes up with a price he likes. With good 10 oz bars all I have to do is add a 0 to whatever the answer is when I ask him, "what's silver at now?" I don't know what it is right now but before silver took off at around 25 it used to be 1 dollar per oz over spot so 10 per bar to buy one. I always tried to find them locally to avoid the shipping cost but I have gotten silver from both Apmex and Gainsville Coin and been happy with them. Provident has some good prices too and it is always nice to know what they will buy it back from you at. There is nothing better than finding silver at face value but, I don't see any reason to buy more of what I find when I am buying silver. I like 10 oz bars, 99.9 rounds (they can be hard to resell at times), Canadian Coins, Eagles, and Chinese Pandas (my favorite collection). Some people are happy with just one thing but like they say variety is the spice of life.

The shame of it is, premiums over spot have nearly tripled since last Thursday. ASE's for $6-7over spot, previously was $2.25

AMPEX has Engle 10 oz bars for $5 over spot per oz. The cost of silver items has remained constant, most likely to cover their purchase costs... Aside from buying silver ETF, this low price will only benefit some of us. My local LCS still has his ASE's priced at $60 each. Silver dimes for $4 each... Visited another LCS, same thing. Overpriced items there to cover acquisition costs. Good luck if you can find physical silver to take advantage of this price dive.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got home from the coin store. They had 4 ten oz. bars...........that was the only silver in the whole store! I bought them all. $240 bucks a peice. not a terrible, not the best either. I just couldn't resist. Lol

Last edited:

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can get generic silver rounds from my dealer for about a buck over spot still...IF he has any that is!!! Will be in his shop tomorrow morning one permitting!

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
well, CRH streetwalker I know you are, but in general it seems there will be a lack of supply, and these coins may still sell like silver is $25-$26

I'm actually holding onto everything I have right now. I run multiple ads on craigslist to buy silver at a set price below melt, people have been calling me asking to buy rather than sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread