Three boxes Two finds...

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Got my first box of halves on Friday. Nada. Big skunk. I will be honest and say that I was a little more than just a little disappointed. On to the dimes. I found a 1952 dime in that box. I'm posting pics of what I found in my nickel box. Lots of old dates, no silver, but found this beauty...

image-2514403675.jpg

image-4210734065.jpg

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're disappointed with being skunked on your 1st box go read through past posts where people have been on 20+ box skunk streaks-

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word of warning. If your in this as a get rich quick scheme clock out now. Skunks are a huge part of the game. 90% of us on here collect coins and or do this as a hobby. So if your losing steam after one box...best of luck my friend. Hh

OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Not losing steam by any means. Just hoping to find at least one special coin in the box of halves. With as many 71's as I have found it made me wonder how coins are taken in and wrapped. I'm fairly new to this and every bank I get coins from gets their coins from Loomis. I'm curious if Loomis has a local facility and this area is pretty well picked through. I've read more stories on here about finding a dozen or so silver coins in a box than the long dry spells. I'd like to find a bank that doesn't use Loomis to compare, but don't know any that use a different company. Any ideas?

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
The reason that you read more stories on here about finding, "a dozen?", or so silver coins in a box than long dry spells is because people post when they find something like 3 40%'s here, or 5 40%'s and a 90% there, and don't moan and whine about every skunk box they encounter. A normal box of halves contains half dollars from 1971 to present because the last silver halves were made some 43 years ago. The people who post about finding 1 or 2, 3 to 5, a dozen or even a dream box do so because after going through enough other boxes that had nothing worth posting about they know how lucky they are to find any silver coin.

On ideals about your Carrier, don't bother trying to over think how things work and just keep getting boxes. If you don't have any luck maybe start trying some different banks until you do. The magic secret of success is a lot of hard work, not really hard but a little more effort than just going to the bank and asking for my silver please.

Nice looking Buffalo nickel, nothing like finding a 76 year old coin in that condition. Good luck to you and HH.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigMoss, I've found a box with 303 silvers in it. Sounds great doesn't it. People like to talk about their finds. There well documented. 2 weeks after finding the 303, I began a very very long journey of OVER 40 boxes without a single silver. Now here's the interesting part. The box with 303 silver and the skunk streak happened with exactly the same type boxes, same wrappers, same bank, same branch. That was 3 years ago. I've gone on many streaks since then. I've had a few skunk streaks of ~20 boxes. I'm currently on my best ever streak of boxes containing silver. The point is that you LITERALLY can't determine anything from 1 box. You can't determine much from 10 boxes. I'm hundreds of boxes in to the same bank and I have no idea when my next long skunk streak will come, but I know it will come.

When I started this hobby, I had a 100 different conspiracy theories going through my head about what causes silver to "disappear". Why has the 'silver vein dried up'. I finally figured out there are people participating in this hobby on a scale that most of us can only imagine. I believe there are individuals, that likely own or work for a bank, processing hundreds of boxes at a time. You never know when you're going to run in to a brinks or loomis pallet with box after box of someone's dumped coin. On the flip side, you may find a box where someone's father or husband dies and the family just deposits his coin hoard. It's really impossible to determine what bank or courier is best in your area. It's all about quantity and luck. Good luck if you decide to stick with it.

OO

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMoses777

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not discouraged, just asking questions since I'm new to this.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
for me, box 4 had my first keeper. it was a relief since i was worried i was doing something wrong.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep at it BigMoses, You never know right place right time. Thanks for the pics.
:thumbsup:

HH..EastKyMiner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread