proof that the silver spot crash has not reduced the value of silver coins?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to hear your input everyone! I'm selling 5 1964 halves I found in a teller tray at the beginning of the year, (I found them along with 2 peace dollars and 2 bens, my best teller tray find of all time. They are AU to BU and advertised as such, which I'm sure will drive the final price up, but my thinking is usually with 1964 90% silvers it doesn't affect the price that much (unless you sell them by the roll, BU rolls go for quite a bit more). Right now they're at just over $50 and have about 20 bids. there's still a lot of time left so it should be interesting to see what happens. Anyways the coins are already at $10 apiece, according to conflation they should be at $8.50 apiece. in my experience ebay usually brings spot. Is this increase in value due to the condition of these coins or are we seeing silver still selling at the same prices as before the crash? I also just got offered $90 per roll for 5 rolls of 40%ers, those are definitely pre-crash values.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly no expert, but I think the "crash" is still too recent IMO. With the falling prices, everyone is jumping on the BUY! BUY! BUY! bandwagon, and therefore actual selling prices are remaining high in many instances, due to what I would guess is a combination of fewer individuals selling and more wanting to buy. If you see silver hover around its current price or continue to fall for the next few weeks/months, actual buying prices will fall as well...I think.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to hear your input everyone! These 5 1964 halves I found in a teller tray at the beginning of the year, along with 2 peace dollars and 2 bens (my best teller tray find of all time). I know these are uncirculated (or about) which will drive the final price up, but my thinking is usually with 1964 90% silvers it doesn't affect the price that much (unless you sell them by the roll, BU rolls go for quite a bit more). Check out the auction

5 AU BU 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars 90 Vintage Silver US Coins $2 50 Face | eBay

59 minutes left and a bit of a bidding war has started, the price has jumped from $45 to $49 in the last couple minutes. still a lot of time left so it should be interesting to see what happens. Anyways the coins are already at $10 apiece, according to conflation they should be at $8.50 apiece. in my experience ebay usually brings spot. Is this increase in value due to the condition of these coins or are we seeing silver still selling at the same prices as before the crash? I also just got offered $90 per roll for 5 rolls of 40%ers, those are definitely pre-crash values.

I've seen a bunch of people still paying $12+ for 1964 Kennedys on eBay. I wouldn't be surprised if it went $52+.

- DS

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What a coinkydink! It hit exactly $52! :) :thumbsup: I'd shoot as high as $60 (not including shipping).

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this does somewhat prove is that if you think silver isn't going back up anytime soon, and you were wishing that you had sold, you very well might still be able to sell (90%ers at least) at about the $30/oz. range.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What this does somewhat prove is that if you think silver isn't going back up anytime soon, and you were wishing that you had sold, you very well might still be able to sell (90%ers at least) at about the $30/oz. range.

This is very true. Last night I was looking for some at a decent price and there was someone who was selling a single '64 half for $10 + $5.95 shipping, and people were bidding on it. I'm sure that if you bid and won on that one you won't get it sent to you in a flat rate box, but that was just a little excessive to charge more than $4 to ship 1 coin that can be put in a bubble mailer and sent for $1.69.

(Also, sorry SFB, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my ramblings!)

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow $60.30 i guess they are selling for $12 apiece

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have been watching eBay prices. I think it's amazing.

I think it'll be short-lived unless prices rise. I just can't see people paying $30/oz. if silver is still in the low $20's (or lower) in a couple of months.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A new pricing structure in silver has been set. Many inventories have been cleaned out, and demand has risen sharply, because paper prices have fallen. Only time will tell if the premiums fall or not, I don't see it happening very soon.

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching ebay a good bit and everything always sells over spot right now. Well over. Seems to be in the $30 oz. range. Demand is keeping the price up which I feel is a good thing. If the premiums do come down over time I'll be looking to make a large purchase. Well...large for my budget :laughing7:.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just last week you could get silver at or just a bit below spot- I got 6 halves 3/3 40/90% just below spot and that included postage- that was when it was around $27.50/oz
And now it's about the same maybe even a bit more like others said around $28-30/oz

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally agree with what has been said. I can confirm that, looking at ebay and trying to buy off Craigslist, people are definitely asking and getting above melt. Not too long ago I recall a lot of ebay junk silver auctions coming in right around spot (although many still came in over), but now I'm shocked at what people are paying. There was also a Wall Street Journal article yesterday saying that since the drop people around the world have been clamoring for gold coins. Demand for gold coins from mints is really high. Hopefully all this physical PM demand translates into higher market prices.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sd bullion just sent out a mass email announcing a "buy back."

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had way more success buying at or near spot right before and after the spot crash than I am now. Thinking that since eBay buyers are paying way over spot right now, it's a good time to sell some.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had way more success buying at or near spot right before and after the spot crash than I am now. Thinking that since eBay buyers are paying way over spot right now, it's a good time to sell some.

If you do not think the price of silver is going up anytime soon, then I would say its a very good time to sell.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally agree with what has been said. I can confirm that, looking at ebay and trying to buy off Craigslist, people are definitely asking and getting above melt. Not too long ago I recall a lot of ebay junk silver auctions coming in right around spot (although many still came in over), but now I'm shocked at what people are paying. There was also a Wall Street Journal article yesterday saying that since the drop people around the world have been clamoring for gold coins. Demand for gold coins from mints is really high. Hopefully all this physical PM demand translates into higher market prices.

It's definitely holding the floor up, that's for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread