This Weeks Nickel Hunt

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
This Week's Nickel Hunt

Well I got my 2 boxes from work on wednesday than had to do some running around town to take my sick kitty to the vet. Wasn't feeling too keen myself and at first I didn't stop at my pickup banks. But after a while I thought what the hey! and went inside. I was only going to get 1 box but they said they had overordered and they knew I normally get 2 boxes, so I took 2. So I had 4 boxes to go through altogether. Box 4 was a skunk, but boxes 1-3 had some jewels. Out of 3 boxes I got 5 war nickels, 1 dateless buff, 2 gold toned nickels and possibly 1 cud error nickel that I nicknamed 'hannibal'. Can't tell if it was badly plated or dipped but there looks to be a cud over the mouth of Jefferson and for the life of me, it reminds me of hannibal lector (never saw the movie btw). I am going to try and take a picture from work where my phone works better but no garentees.

I am getting a collapsible handcart to haul my coins into the bank. It will cost me only 20 bucks. So hopefully if I take it easy lifting, I can still do CRHing after the initial 2 weeks of not driving.That means I have to haul in 900 dollars in nickels, eesh! I want to get more war nickels!! LOL.

Hugs and Prayers,
GarouLady

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the war Nics! By the way, it would be a die chip on the nickel, since it isn't on the rim.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
was thinking about getting an error book for jefferson nickels but 40 bucks for a book is just a bit too much for me and my eyes aren't the best for seeing fine details. Still might. Mulling over the idea in my head.

Sincerely, GarouLady

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to amazon they might be cheap. I got a 2010 redbook last year for a dollar something plus 3.99 shipping.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I got pics!! A bit blurry but they show what I got and hopefully someone can help me with my error coin.
Here are the 5 war nickels and the one dateless buff that I found. I was going to buy some pic-a-nic but the LCS guys said that if the buffalo on the back is also worn down that to spend 5 bucks for a bottle isn't worth it, so I didn't buy it. But I love that I found 5 war nickels in just 3 boxes, Yes!!
Photo-0035.jpg

And here is a pic of my supposed error coin. Yes I know it isn't very good but hopefully someone will at least give me an idea of what it could be.

Photo-0036.jpg

Sincerely, GarouLady

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the profile of another face looking the opposite way of Jefferson and up, stamped right on top?

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Truthfully I can't tell if its just been dipped because the coin's surface isn't smooth or if the error is just a piece of solder. So I will try to take it to a LCS and see what they say. They say that their nickel expert is there on mondays but that I can leave the coin in question with them. They actually said why would they switch or steal a nickel from me? I had to do a double take and almost laughed. Let's see ummm, if its a really neat error coin it could be worth something? I didn't say that to them but I told them that I would be back later.

Now comes the fun part. Dragging 900 bucks worth of nickels into my dump bank. I don't think I am going to pick up any more nickels until July when I go back to work after my surgery. But I will be stopping at the LCS and picking up some silver now and again, just to keep my fingers from itching. LOL.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to check your warnics for Henning counterfits, which are regularly going on ebay for around $60. Look for a 43 or 44 with no mint-mark above the dome, but don't be fooled by mint-marks that are very warn. Another way to be certain is to look for a small "loop" in the bottom of the R in "Pluribus". You may want to look up Henning nickels online to get the whole story--interesting stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread