Anybody Ever Been Robbed While CRHing?

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, I hope the answer is "no." But, I know this has to be a concern amongst the group. I was wondering if it's ever happened to anyone on here. And if so, what would you do differently to prevent it in the future? Also, do you think any kind of insurance would cover your hunting money? Or, would we just be flat out of luck. I'm not a huge high-roller like some on this site, and if I'm suddenly out my hunting money it would be a huge setback. (One thing I do have in my favor though is that I'm 6'5" and about 245lbs. Not sure that would matter much at gunpoint though.) I have a CCW and carry when I go metal detecting, but as you are all aware, that is not legally possible when going in and out of banks. I always try to vary the times of my pickups, any other ideas?

Sorry to be so grim, but it is a concern.

Upvote 0

archertiger3

Feb 25, 2013
KS
Primary Interest:
Other
i wonder how many people have got robbed while coin roll hunting. i'm guessing it's not that high because the robber then has to carry all those coins ;)

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not. One day, I had someone that seemed overly interested while I was dumping $1k in halves. It wasn't in the best part of town. I had a buddy with me that is 6'7" so that probably helped. I doubt anything would have happened anyway. Whenever I pick up in bad neighborhoods, I just make sure the boxes are covered so that I don't have a giant dollar amount sign on me. I'm not overly concerned about it, though. I've been around the block a few times and am pretty street smart.

The other day I was in a bank and the head teller thought I was going to rob the place. That made me feel bad. I had my hands in my pockets and that put her off. She told me that branch has been robbed three times in the last year, which really surprised me since it isn't that far from my house.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest fear is not so much being robbed but dropping a wad out of my pocket and losing my bankroll

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Otl, I have not, but it is funny that you ask this, I was really wondering about it today. I dumped 16 boxes today at many stops and had to carry that cash on me (not so worried about getting robbed with the coins them selves, too heavy to steal) and that worried me a little bit. I do carry and have a CCP, I do carry in the bank ( once you have carried for sometime it becomes 2nd nature, no one knows you have it, you just have to get past that "EVERYBODY KNOWS I HAVE A GUN ON ME" stage, it's no big deal), this is just me and my decision, if I have that much cash on me coming out, I don't want to wait till I get to the vehicle to secure my weapon, again, nobody knows you have it on you, you just have to realize that, and it's no big deal. Just some food for thought. HH, Maverick.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wonder how many people have got robbed while coin roll hunting. i'm guessing it's not that high because the robber then has to carry all those coins ;)

A smart robber will get the CRHer after he cashes in the thousands of $ in coin, not when he picks it up.

I am always extremely careful not to flash a wad of $ in the line at the bank. I put a $1 on the outside so it doesn't look like I have much.

Also, guys, try to avoid the temptation to search in your car - thats a vulnerable position to be in. Take the coins home (and make sure you're not followed!) and then search in a locked house in a room that doesn't have a window.

Stay safe!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant carry inside of a bank? That must be a state law for your state... no such thing here, I always carry.

OP
OP
OtlFrutiger

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, in my state, any business can put this goofy little sign in their window and then it instantly becomes illegal to carry a firearm in that business. It's pretty lame.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was in a bank and the head teller thought I was going to rob the place. That made me feel bad. I had my hands in my pockets and that put her off. She told me that branch has been robbed three times in the last year, which really surprised me since it isn't that far from my house.

Wow, I guess that shows how important appearance and body language is. So let's all make sure we don't look scary to the nice tellers, eh?

When I go CRHing, I try to dress up just a little bit. I figure that the tellers are going to be just a bit more relaxed and friendly around a guy with a button-down shirt than a T-shirt.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Of course, I hope the answer is "no." But, I know this has to be a concern amongst the group. I was wondering if it's ever happened to anyone on here. And if so, what would you do differently to prevent it in the future? Also, do you think any kind of insurance would cover your hunting money? Or, would we just be flat out of luck. I'm not a huge high-roller like some on this site, and if I'm suddenly out my hunting money it would be a huge setback. (One thing I do have in my favor though is that I'm 6'5" and about 245lbs. Not sure that would matter much at gunpoint though.) I have a CCW and carry when I go metal detecting, but as you are all aware, that is not legally possible when going in and out of banks. I always try to vary the times of my pickups, any other ideas?

I've been told by my insurance company that I'm flat out of luck in the event of a loss of silver, unless I specifically have it insured - very expensive.

Nothing against the poster here, but as I recall this wasn't really getting robbed while CRH'ing...

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I always try to dress up a bit, too. I definitely wasn't dressed as a slob. I think she was a bit paranoid since they've been robbed so many times and I probably had a bit of that "silver fiend" glint in my eyes.

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
I conceal and carry, even into my banks. If it is well concealed (like it should be) no one will ever know. Plus my main pickup bank does not have a no weapons sign posted.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing against the poster here, but as I recall this wasn't really getting robbed while CRH'ing...

It was the only instance I could remember of someone making a big deal out of being robbed of coins. It was post-CRHing, but I'd still count it! :)

I just remember the guy got a lot of hell from everyone because he didn't lock his doors, had half dollar wrappers all over his car, etc.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The closest I've ever come is that my CU and another bank of mine was robbed last year. The CU my wife works at was robbed twice last year alone. My worst fear would have my wife working inside the bank caught between the crossfire of a robber and a vigilante.

jamesg13

Jan 7, 2013
The Outskirts
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always dress gangster when dumping, no hassles from tellers! And they are always nice to me as I am with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread