Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Anybody Ever Been Robbed While CRHing?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Anybody Ever Been Robbed While CRHing?

Of course, I hope the answer is "no." But, I know this has to be a concern amongst the group. I was wondering if it's ever happened to anyone on here. And if so, what would you do differently to prevent it in the future? Also, do you think any kind of insurance would cover your hunting money? Or, would we just be flat out of luck. I'm not a huge high-roller like some on this site, and if I'm suddenly out my hunting money it would be a huge setback. (One thing I do have in my favor though is that I'm 6'5" and about 245lbs. Not sure that would matter much at gunpoint though.) I have a CCW and carry when I go metal detecting, but as you are all aware, that is not legally possible when going in and out of banks. I always try to vary the times of my pickups, any other ideas?

Sorry to be so grim, but it is a concern.

us
    Feb 2013
    KS
    20 times
    Coin Roll Hunting!
    i wonder how many people have got robbed while coin roll hunting. i'm guessing it's not that high because the robber then has to carry all those coins

May 2012
    379 times
    I have not. One day, I had someone that seemed overly interested while I was dumping $1k in halves. It wasn't in the best part of town. I had a buddy with me that is 6'7" so that probably helped. I doubt anything would have happened anyway. Whenever I pick up in bad neighborhoods, I just make sure the boxes are covered so that I don't have a giant dollar amount sign on me. I'm not overly concerned about it, though. I've been around the block a few times and am pretty street smart.

The other day I was in a bank and the head teller thought I was going to rob the place. That made me feel bad. I had my hands in my pockets and that put her off. She told me that branch has been robbed three times in the last year, which really surprised me since it isn't that far from my house.

us
    May 2012
    Southern United States
    718 times
    Coin Roll Hunting

Jun 2012
    33 times
    Every now and then a roll is short a half or two. So yes, yes I have.

Charter Member

Feb 2013
    929 times
    My biggest fear is not so much being robbed but dropping a wad out of my pocket and losing my bankroll

Mar 2013
    647 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boristhespider88 View Post
    Oh man that SUCKS
    Sleepy Holow likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 Garrett Ace 250
    1588 times
    Coin Roll Hunting/ Metal detecting
    Hey Otl, I have not, but it is funny that you ask this, I was really wondering about it today. I dumped 16 boxes today at many stops and had to carry that cash on me (not so worried about getting robbed with the coins them selves, too heavy to steal) and that worried me a little bit. I do carry and have a CCP, I do carry in the bank ( once you have carried for sometime it becomes 2nd nature, no one knows you have it, you just have to get past that "EVERYBODY KNOWS I HAVE A GUN ON ME" stage, it's no big deal), this is just me and my decision, if I have that much cash on me coming out, I don't want to wait till I get to the vehicle to secure my weapon, again, nobody knows you have it on you, you just have to realize that, and it's no big deal. Just some food for thought. HH, Maverick.
    Is it just me, or is "Douche-Bag" the new norm in society?

us
    Apr 2011
    676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by archertiger3 View Post
    i wonder how many people have got robbed while coin roll hunting. i'm guessing it's not that high because the robber then has to carry all those coins
    A smart robber will get the CRHer after he cashes in the thousands of $ in coin, not when he picks it up.

I am always extremely careful not to flash a wad of $ in the line at the bank. I put a $1 on the outside so it doesn't look like I have much.

Also, guys, try to avoid the temptation to search in your car - thats a vulnerable position to be in. Take the coins home (and make sure you're not followed!) and then search in a locked house in a room that doesn't have a window.

Stay safe!

Expert CRH'er/ Newb Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2012
    Fema Region 3
    Ace 250, garret pro pointer, sawtooth gator
    760 times
    You cant carry inside of a bank? That must be a state law for your state... no such thing here, I always carry.
    Sleepy Holow, jamesg13 and Zero like this.
    There is a war on for your mind(whether you know it yet or not)

“Truth is treason in the empire of lies.” - Ron Paul

us
    Apr 2012
    144 times
    Yeah, in my state, any business can put this goofy little sign in their window and then it instantly becomes illegal to carry a firearm in that business. It's pretty lame.

us
    Jul 2011
    Bank Tellers
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fish on! View Post
    The other day I was in a bank and the head teller thought I was going to rob the place. That made me feel bad. I had my hands in my pockets and that put her off. She told me that branch has been robbed three times in the last year, which really surprised me since it isn't that far from my house.
    Wow, I guess that shows how important appearance and body language is. So let's all make sure we don't look scary to the nice tellers, eh?

When I go CRHing, I try to dress up just a little bit. I figure that the tellers are going to be just a bit more relaxed and friendly around a guy with a button-down shirt than a T-shirt.

us
    Apr 2011
    616 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OtlFrutiger View Post
    Of course, I hope the answer is "no." But, I know this has to be a concern amongst the group. I was wondering if it's ever happened to anyone on here. And if so, what would you do differently to prevent it in the future? Also, do you think any kind of insurance would cover your hunting money? Or, would we just be flat out of luck. I'm not a huge high-roller like some on this site, and if I'm suddenly out my hunting money it would be a huge setback. (One thing I do have in my favor though is that I'm 6'5" and about 245lbs. Not sure that would matter much at gunpoint though.) I have a CCW and carry when I go metal detecting, but as you are all aware, that is not legally possible when going in and out of banks. I always try to vary the times of my pickups, any other ideas?

I've been told by my insurance company that I'm flat out of luck in the event of a loss of silver, unless I specifically have it insured - very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by boristhespider88 View Post

Nothing against the poster here, but as I recall this wasn't really getting robbed while CRH'ing...
    boristhespider88 likes this.

May 2012
    379 times
    Yeah, I always try to dress up a bit, too. I definitely wasn't dressed as a slob. I think she was a bit paranoid since they've been robbed so many times and I probably had a bit of that "silver fiend" glint in my eyes.

Feb 2013
    15 times
    I conceal and carry, even into my banks. If it is well concealed (like it should be) no one will ever know. Plus my main pickup bank does not have a no weapons sign posted.
    jamesg13 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors