Stupidity of the Common Teenager

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, today I did a lot of road time and only got half of my stuff done. Either the store I stopped at didn't have what I needed or I couldn't find the store I was looking for. Over 5 hours driving around town, dodging over 20+ tirebusting potholes. I mean these potholes were over a foot wide and 5 inches deep!! Someone needs to get off their butts and fix those things before there are more accidents from people dodging them.

But here's the real story. Stopped at Burger King after all this driving and had a coupon for BOGO whopper and I didn't have any dollar bills. I had rolls of half dollars. So I handed the cashier one of the rolls. As a cashier, you are suppose to take the whole roll and give back dollar bills. But nooo, she opens the roll, takes out what she needed then hands me back the other 6 dollars in half dollars!!!! are you kidding me??? Couldn't believe it. Over 20 years of cashiering I had yet to see anyone do that. If I get an order for 5 bucks and someone gives me a roll of quarters, I don't open the roll, take 5 bucks back and hand them the other 5 bucks of quarters. Nope, I take the whole roll. ugh, Ugh, UGH!!! God save me from teenagers... Now I have 90 dollars in rolled halves to get rid of, and 6 dollars of loose halves. ::growls, snapping teeth::

Oh the beautiful part, I have to go back into town and hopefully get into the doctor's. I think I am getting an inner ear infection just 2 weeks before my surgery. I just can't catch a break here today. Though I finally lugged about 600 dollars worth of nickels back to my dump bank. I could have sworn that I had more but I am not going to complain over a couple of bucks worth. They don't charge me anything to dump. I did have to make 3 trips into the bank, carrying my haul in. Definitely need to get a collapsible handcart. Found one on Amazon for 20 bucks. But I informed the bank that I wouldn't be back in 2 1/2 months due to the medical leave and gave them 2 boxes of russell stover chocolates for being such nice people.

OMG! The rain has changed to snow right before my eyes!! Oh the horror!! That's it. I'm moving to Sneedsville Kentucky. I stand michigan's crazy weather anymore.LOL.

Hugs and Prayers,
GarouLady

Upvote 0

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess there are two sides to every coin, but I sure wouldnt what to have a store that was used as a dump, by all the crh'es in the town. I wouldnt accept rolls of coins, and I wouldnt have a scale for my employees to weigh them! Theres a bank across the street! :laughing7:

I tried to buy two meals at burger king once, and they wouldnt accept a $100 bill, so went next door to get some change, and they wouldnt give me change, so I bought a pack of gum! That guy was really pi$$ed, but he took the bill anyway!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I know you are a cashier so YOU are appalled by this. However, as an outsider (who was never a cashier), I would be confused if someone tried to pay for a $2.13 meal with a $10 roll of halves.

I don't see how there is any sort of "SOP" in a situation like that.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A roll of quarters will weight if memory serves me right, .5 on my scale. Dimes are .33. If there are canadian or other coinage other than the particular coins, the weight will be off. As for halves, more often than not, if we got halves, I know at least 10 people in our store alone that would jump on that clad.

Shouldn't the dimes weight 1/2 as much as the quarters? I think a roll of halves should be the same as a roll of quarters since they are equal denominations. I could be wrong. I hope you get well soon GarouLady. I always enjoy your posts.

FAL guy

Feb 5, 2012
OKC, OK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a former restaurant manager, I would not want my cashiers to simply accept a roll of coins and hand them bills back. We have all seen cents and washers in dime rolls etc.

I have to agree. It isn't really any different than paying for a $15 purchase with a wrapped stack of $5 bills and expecting your change back in $20 bills. This is just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had the dollar bills at the time I would have used those and this wasn't a dump job. I really didn't want to do it but dang it, I was HUNGRY! And the weights on the coins were an estimate. It's a trick I have learned over the years. Kinda like it your credit card doesn't scan, put one of those flimsy plastic bags over it and run it though the reader. 9 times out of 10 it will work. Still love that trick. As for not accepting rolled coins, it depends. I have had people bring in 10-20 dollars in loose coins. We can't take that much, so they either have to go through the coinstar (which trust me, you get all sorts of dirty looks),or if it's slow, I will run their order through the SCOs (self check outs) and they can pop their coins into there. If people grip too much, I tell them right out, we are not a bank. It really steams my kippers when people buy a pack of gum or a pop and hand me a 100 bill. Then I definitely run them through the SCOs. Ours give out 20s, 5s, and 1s thankfully. I have heard this isn't always the case. There are times I wish we had one of those old fashion dollar/quarter exchangers. A lot of kids want quarters for the candy machines and we have to pop our drawers open for each time. :sighs::

But on a side rant I am bummed. Lost two chickens last night and didn't know what it was until this morning. Woke up at 11:00AM and was in the kitchen when I saw a flash of red. Wasn't one of our chickens. It was a fox!! holy smokes. I ran out there in my nightgown and socks in the 30 degree wet snow, yelling at it. I corralled my chickens into the coop and went back inside. 37 years and we never had this much trouble with vermints. last night I had a raccoon in my mom's window eatting the suet cake. Scared the snot out of her. Then we had a opossum eatting out of my bird feeders and then we lost 2 chickens. I swear mother nature has it in for us.

At least with CRHing I know where I stand. The rest of this year is depressing the snoot out of me. ::bangs head on wall::

Hopefully the rest of the year will be better.

Sincerely, GarouLady

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former restaurant manager, I would not want my cashiers to simply accept a roll of coins and hand them bills back. We have all seen cents and washers in dime rolls etc.

I think that cashier deserves a raise.

In all honesty I have to agree I would never want my cashiers accepting rolled coins. I have gotten a lot of crap out of CWR from banks, I can just imagine what kind of bull people might try and dump on some kid at a fast food place.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had the dollar bills at the time I would have used those and this wasn't a dump job. I really didn't want to do it but dang it, I was HUNGRY! And the weights on the coins were an estimate. It's a trick I have learned over the years. Kinda like it your credit card doesn't scan, put one of those flimsy plastic bags over it and run it though the reader. 9 times out of 10 it will work. Still love that trick. As for not accepting rolled coins, it depends. I have had people bring in 10-20 dollars in loose coins. We can't take that much, so they either have to go through the coinstar (which trust me, you get all sorts of dirty looks),or if it's slow, I will run their order through the SCOs (self check outs) and they can pop their coins into there. If people grip too much, I tell them right out, we are not a bank. It really steams my kippers when people buy a pack of gum or a pop and hand me a 100 bill. Then I definitely run them through the SCOs. Ours give out 20s, 5s, and 1s thankfully. I have heard this isn't always the case. There are times I wish we had one of those old fashion dollar/quarter exchangers. A lot of kids want quarters for the candy machines and we have to pop our drawers open for each time. :sighs::

But on a side rant I am bummed. Lost two chickens last night and didn't know what it was until this morning. Woke up at 11:00AM and was in the kitchen when I saw a flash of red. Wasn't one of our chickens. It was a fox!! holy smokes. I ran out there in my nightgown and socks in the 30 degree wet snow, yelling at it. I corralled my chickens into the coop and went back inside. 37 years and we never had this much trouble with vermints. last night I had a raccoon in my mom's window eatting the suet cake. Scared the snot out of her. Then we had a opossum eatting out of my bird feeders and then we lost 2 chickens. I swear mother nature has it in for us.

At least with CRHing I know where I stand. The rest of this year is depressing the snoot out of me. ::bangs head on wall::

Hopefully the rest of the year will be better.

Sincerely, GarouLady

We have fox and coon down here in Kentucky but at least, right now, you won't be running around in the snow to protect your chickens. :laughing7: :cat:

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last time I paid at bk with a roll of halves the girl counted them and accepted the dump. Got bills back. I could understand a business being cautious about accepting rolled coin but if they refuse then they lose the sale. Even though I've always got bills on me. Take my coin or lose the sale. Their choice.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of places don't allow cashiers to take covered rolls (assuming that it was), and make employees open them to check. At least they do in some stores around here. Too much cheating, with nickles in between the quarters and such.

It's not easy working at Burger King. And as a teenager, one has little say over management. I always try my best to be kind toward teenagers and any workers at these fast food establishments, and would never call anyone 'stupid' unless I wanted to be called that in turn.

Or really make them mad and have them season your food for you!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would rather someone give me a roll of coins that I can sit there and count than them fling all their coins at me or hand me a Ziploc bag full of random change and make me do it myself. THAT irritates me.

Also, funny story. Stopped at Dunkin' Donuts after I got out of my final tonight and paid for a large iced coffee :coffee2: ($2.37) and I gave the girl $3 gold dollars. She took the coins and said, "What in the heck are these things?" I told her they were gold dollars and she just laughed and said, "Oh, okay, I've only ever seen them with that old lady on them."

:tongue3:

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its BK, im sure the cashier could care less if she lost your business, and probably her boss would feel the same, along with the customers that are waiting in line, while you bring all your coins to change.

whiteslate

Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a In-N-Out Associate we are accountable for our money, if at the end of the shift you have to much or to little, documentation and warning, it can and has lead to termination, therefor I always accept rolled coin, but I also take the time to count it.

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I paid at bk with a roll of halves the girl counted them and accepted the dump. Got bills back. I could understand a business being cautious about accepting rolled coin but if they refuse then they lose the sale. Even though I've always got bills on me. Take my coin or lose the sale. Their choice.

See the problem with the "Take my coin or lose the sale" mentality is that the person deciding whether or not to accept your coin more often than not could care less about your business. Do you think some pimply 17 year old working the BK drive thru cares even the slightest bit as to whether or not your five, ten or even twenty dollars make it into their coffers? It would be different if it was the owner of the store making that decision, I would bet you that they would take the coin almost every single time. Unfortunately that scenario is the exception to the rule.

It's a bit like the people who complain about NSF fees at a bank and then get all huffy and puffy threatening to close their account and take their money (and we're talking peanuts here) elsewhere. Do you really think that the your funds make any difference in the grand scheme of things with an institution that manages hundreds of millions, or billions, of dollars?

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"steams my kippers" needs more love, but honestly you're being silly getting miffed over how she handled your transaction. You used legal tender to purchase your food and you received legal tender back. Do you really think a minimum wage employee concerns him or herself over what denominations you would prefer to receive your change back in? You're hardly that important, hate to break it to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread