Building a bunker

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a box of nickels this morning at a bank that I've gotten nickels from maybe five or six times. As the teller puts the box on the counter this is the conversation that we had"

Teller: "Are you building a bunker too?"
Me: "Huh? A bunker? What do you mean?"
Teller: "Oh, there's this guy that comes in every week and buys several boxes of nickels. He told us that he's building a bunker out of the boxed nickels and after the apocalypse he'll take it down and use the nickels to barter"
Me: "That's awesome. I didn't know the apocalypse was coming. I just use them to fill folders and stuff. Guess I'll perish with the rest outside the nickel bunker."

Either some hunter has a good sense of humor or there is a really crazy guy in my area with a very expensive bunk. Either way the tellers believe it's the latter.

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a similiar conversation when I was doing dimes... I had a bank that ordered me 4 boxes every week. The one week I went for my pickup, and the teller tells me she heard a rumor of what im doing with my dimes... I say, Oh yeah? What is that?.

She replied that she heard I was melting them down and building a car out of them.

LOL!

Apparently the delivery driver told that teller that someone else at a different bank, thats what the CRH'er told the tellers they were doing with the coins...

Pretty funny, but not one I would personally tell banks, considering melting down clad is illegal. lol

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a similiar conversation when I was doing dimes... I had a bank that ordered me 4 boxes every week. The one week I went for my pickup, and the teller tells me she heard a rumor of what im doing with my dimes... I say, Oh yeah? What is that?.

She replied that she heard I was melting them down and building a car out of them.

LOL!

Apparently the delivery driver told that teller that someone else at a different bank, thats what the CRH'er told the tellers they were doing with the coins...

Pretty funny, but not one I would personally tell banks, considering melting down clad is illegal. lol

Wow that's a god one as well- when I first started and before finding this site I thought about using the excuse of "I'm remodeling my bathroom all in shiny dimes, top to bottom, counter tops and all" this was after seeing someone lay pennies down as their kitchen flooring- never did use it

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
"I am slowly building the collection I could never afford or attain as a kid, even when I had a paper route and everyone paid in change."

Hey, it's the truth. There may be more, but nevertheless it's true.

Rascal

PS: Because of the shape (length, height, etc) of the box halves make for a stronger bunker. :laughing7:

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I had the time and money to spare. I would love to build a clad bunker! Until then I'll keep working on the silver one:-)

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh really? You would probably know more than I about it... I only thought silver (40%/90%, but not 35%) was legal to melt down currently...

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh really? You would probably know more than I about it... I only thought silver (40%/90%, but not 35%) was legal to melt down currently...

Why would melting down quarters or dimes be illegal when you can't profit from it? Even though the mint claims it is so that cents can circulate, it's probably because they will not let you profit in any way possible.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey don't laugh people actually do use pennies and such for flooring

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey don't laugh people actually do use pennies and such for flooring

I saw that and totally love it. if I could do it with anything, I would use either Canadian pennies or new Zealand fern penny. For silver look I would use the various canadian quarters.

sincerely, GarouLady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions