Coin silver content question

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I have been coin roll hunting with nickels for some time now. It never occured to me to do it with larger denominations. Actually, I did it with dimes and quarters and almost never found any silver, so I quit.

What years have what silver content, and what is the best type of coin to hunt? I always keep halves and dollar coins when I find them, but I dont know exactly what I have in my coin hoard right now.

SO, I am a sponge, gimme the intel.

Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
since you know about nickels I won't mention them. Canada is silver 1968 and earlier 800 fine. US is 900 fine silver from 1964 and earlier. There were 40% silver half dollars from 1965 thorugh at least the sixties. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On half dollars 1964 and before are 90% silver. 1965 - 1970 are 40% silver. Some 1976 bicentennials were made of 40% silver, I have found about a half dozen of these. Also some proofs from 1992 to present were also made of 40% silver. I have found 2 of these.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
wayne1956 said:
On half dollars 1964 and before are 90% silver. 1965 - 1970 are 40% silver. Some 1976 bicentennials were made of 40% silver, I have found about a half dozen of these. Also some proofs from 1992 to present were also made of 40% silver. I have found 2 of these.

I have several of the bicentennials. I have Ike dollars, and a bunch of Kennedy halfs. I think I am going to start buying rolls. Although since the banks here are smaller, I dont think they even really have half rolls. I will jump on this bandwagon, lol.

Thanks for the help

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
Libralabsoldier said:
wayne1956 said:

I have several of the bicentennials. I have Ike dollars, and a bunch of Kennedy halfs. I think I am going to start buying rolls. Although since the banks here are smaller, I dont think they even really have half rolls. I will jump on this bandwagon, lol.

Thanks for the help
This is a very addictive hobby, The thrill of the chase is awsome. Welcome aboard.
Best Regards, Ray

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
silverfinder37 said:
Libralabsoldier said:
wayne1956 said:

Thanks for the help
This is a very addictive hobby, The thrill of the chase is awsome. Welcome aboard.
Best Regards, Ray

Thanks. Like I said, I have been hunting nickel rolls for a few years now. I dont know why it never occurred to me to try it with halfs. I gave up on dimes and quarters. I never seemed to find silver, but I did find almost all the statehood quarters for my kids book.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your roll hunting. One good thing about searching nickel rolls is that it is quite possible to complete a full set of Jeffersons from circulation. A few people here (unfortunately I am not one of them) have even found the elusive 1950-D. HCRH

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
wayne1956 said:
Good luck with your roll hunting. One good thing about searching nickel rolls is that it is quite possible to complete a full set of Jeffersons from circulation. A few people here (unfortunately I am not one of them) have even found the elusive 1950-D. HCRH
After hitting four banks today, I finally found one that had half dollar rolls. They would only sell me two. I had no luck. A bunch of bicentenials, but they were all D mint marks. I had slightly better luck with the ten bucks in nickels i got, but even then, it was mostly 60-64s. I got two very nice 1958s that are going to replace the ones in my nickel books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread