Do you tell the truth when buying coins?

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell them I am a rare coin collector and I look for rare coins tht happen to still be (or put back in) circulation.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but I think that's why I don't find anything anymore...

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would anyone bother lying? that's going to make you look super suspicious, most people can catch a lier pretty easily....especially women

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth is very subjective...If they ask me i say "i'm a coin collector looking for cool coins", I do not say im looking for silver! Its not the full truth but its all they need to know..

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mostly I just tell them that I am looking for certain dates. There is one teller that just asked if I was looking for silver. I decided to be honest and said yes. She then said, "Ok well I don't think your going to find anything," and handed me $50 of CWR dimes with a big black sharpie mark down the side. I'm defiantly not going back there. Another teller I told because she seemed really nice, and I think that she might save it for me if she finds anything. You just need to get a feel of which tellers might benefit you or which ones might snatch up the silver.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am honest with them when asked but don't volunteer anything. If they ask what I am looking for I tell them old coins, which is the truth. I just don't volunteer how old it needs to be to interest me. If they ask me directly if I am looking for silver I get kind of a guilty, sheepish look on my face and tell them well, yes, that is what I'm after. I think this is the way to go because for them to ask, they are silver aware and once you admit it then you could hear "well don't bother cause I'm keeping it all" (good to know this) or if you are lucky they might say "oh, ok, we'll if I see any I'll save it for you", or something in between. Bottom line, it's best to understand your tellers and know where you stand with them. I've got a lot of banks that are good for nothing but dumping because of all the sniping going on which in some cases I found out about after admitting to them that, yes, I'm after silver. HH

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell the truth but not saying what i tell them because i don't want people to use it as a lie. Lets just say my reason is very well received and vault managers bend over backwards for me in ordering coins, and i even am on good terms with my dump banks.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course... Lying about it is ridiculous and will bring about more trouble than necessary..

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont lie i tell them "I like dimes". And then every time i got to the bank the pretty little red head says "Oh your the dime guy. Have you found anything interesting lately??"And hands me my 2 boxes.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

Just wondering who tells the truth when buying coins. Most of the time the tellers don't ask why, but when they do I tell them the coins are for my grandpa and I. What's your story?

My son is doing a project for coin collecting with his scouts. It is actually the truth. He needs to do a collection and no way I'm paying collector price to fill an album.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread