Best CRH Morgan Dollar Score Ever? (plus a great half cull too w/ pics)

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently made friends with a teller at one of my banks near my job. I asked him for halves, big dollars, and any old coins or bills one day. He delivered, and gave me a some big dollars, a few 90% halves and a few silver dimes and red notes (see the post here). I came back around recently and he told me he might have some more old coins in two weeks (I won't tell you why he knew this; trade secret :lock:). That was Monday, when I stopped back in and he gave me these:
KLIlxloh.jpg
UaHbbYQh.jpg
He knew they were silver, and he was happy to give them to me.

My first Morgans at face value, and 9 total silver dollars!

8 Morgan Dollars
1 Peace Dollar
8 Walking Liberty Half Dollars
3 Ben Franklin Half Dollars

HUzzaH!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgan dates are from 1878-1898, the Peace dollar is a 1935. There are no rare or error coins, and no coins are in grade-worthy condition. I magnet tested and sound tested each coin, and they are most certainly real. This teller is one nice guy, but I also think he is required to give the coins away, and might not understand the value of them. Whatever it is, I will keep sucking out the sweet silvery nectar from that honey hole :smileinbox:

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be all secretive! Couldn't have just left that tidbit out Weasel?!?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Morgan dates are from 1878-1898, the Peace dollar is a 1935. There are no rare or error coins, and no coins are in grade-worthy condition. I magnet tested and sound tested each coin, and they are most certainly real. This teller is one nice guy, but I also think he is required to give the coins away, and might not understand the value of them. Whatever it is, I will keep sucking out the sweet silvery nectar from that honey hole :smileinbox:

Do any of them have mintmarks?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. The '35 is a better date and should bring a premium. I'd like to see a better pic (perhaps in the Coins forum?). Also, check the reverse of the '78 and count the tail feathers.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of them have mintmarks?

Some have "o" marks, but no key years. Also, no S marks, or CC. Most are no marks, or Philadelphia mint for those who don't know where markless coins are minted.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some have "o" marks, but no key years. Also, no S marks, or CC. Most are no marks, or Philadelphia mint for those who don't know where markless coins are minted.

Cool, thanks. I was wondering on the Peace dollar (I know more about them than I do Morgans), but either way a 1935 Peace is great. Philadelphia minted - 1,576,000 total, making it a better date as Diver_Down pointed out. I'd be stoked to find a Peace in the wild, but finding one that isn't a 1922 or 1923 would be that much more exciting! Great finds!

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Buddy.. What an amazing haul... I wish tellers would do that for me.. It is unreal that he would hand those over to you.. COngrats pal..

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet cull of silver. The '35 is a better date and should bring a premium. I'd like to see a better pic (perhaps in the Coins forum?). Also, check the reverse of the '78 and count the tail feathers.

Wow thanks for the info. I didn't realize the Peace was a better date. I will try to get a better pic when I take the coin out again, and check the 78 for the feather error.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how its done.Now your in side ride the wave.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Wow thanks for the info. I didn't realize the Peace was a better date. I will try to get a better pic when I take the coin out again, and check the 78 for the feather error.

Also, your assumption that there are no 'S' or 'CC' so there are no better dates is wrong. In many cases, San Fran cranked out Morgans and are considered common dates. In the later years of the Morgan series, New Orleans produced dollars that are considered better dates. Regardless of what the dates and mintmarks are, you killed it. Nice cull.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing. I'm droolin' here.

Why the 'secret' about the teller? Are we going to be competing with you?

I do remember a few tellers at banks where they are getting to know me mention, occasionally, that somebody is planning on bringing in a bunch of coins. I'm just guessing that it comes up in conversation, e.g. the customer saying "Dang, I have a bunch of old coins that I meant to bring in ... Oh well, I'll be back next week."

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great haul.

Here is another scenario that could result in even more finds for you. All of the tellers at my banks know that I am knowledgeable about coins and they often sell me the odd things (silver) that accumulate in their drawers. However, when a customer comes in with a larger amount of silver or old coins, they tell the person that they could be worth more and refer them to me. I have been able to purchase several small collections and accumulations that way. I buy at whatever level the local dealer is paying. Even better is that often these folks will say something to friends and those friends will ask for my contact info and I get even more chances to purchase before they are lost to the coin counters, pawn shops, fly by night buyers, etc.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came back around recently and he told me he might have some more old coins in two weeks (I won't tell you why he knew this; trade secret :lock:).
HUzzaH!

you should have left this part out about how he might have more in two weeks because i want to know now. also when i read the huzzah i read it in professor farnsworth voice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread