new here

Patty

Jan 14, 2007
PA
Hi all, I just came across this site today. The coin roll hunting is very interesting.
I have been saving any coins dated 1965 and older for a couple of years now. Why 1965, that was the year I was born. Pretty corny but it worked for me. I go through all my change before it gets turned into the bank. Never really got too many half-dollars, so I keep them all and I have some of the dollar coins too.
Have a question and sorry if it sounds stupid. What does clad mean?
I also just have my coins loose in a wooden box, should I get books to keep them in.
I do have a book of pennies, that my dad gave me long ago, and I also have 2 sets of the new state quarters, Denver mint and Philadelphia mint.
Any help will be appreciated and thanks.
Patty

Upvote 0

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
"Clad" means copper clad alloy. Starting in 1965 the composition of quarters and dimes were changed from 90% silver to copper / nickel clad, which has very little intrinsic value (compared to the silver). The same year, half dollars were changed from 90% silver to 40% silver, and kept the 40% until 1971. Starting in 1971, half dollars also changed to copper / nickel clad.
Clad coins are easy to identify by the copper stripe visible in the edge of the coins.
One of the main objectives for most coin roll hunters is to find the coins in circulation that have silver content. They are worth a lot more, because of the silver content, than the clad coins are.
Check the following web site: http://www.coinflation.com
Hope this helps.
Happy hunting,
Bob

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To expand a little on HobBob's statement, there were a few other years of 40% silver for the halves, but they were made for mint uncirculated and proof sets. They are 1976 and some proofs for 1992 to current date. They made the proofs for these years in both the silver and clad. Just a little extra info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread