Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why I hunt cents. Some day she will be mine! I have found a '72 but the '69S has eluded me (and everyone else in the would but about 10-12 lucky people)!
While to be truthful with you .... I do not have that penny either....

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Errors and varieties plus I do it for enjoyment not profit really. Wheats are fun to find and I make money off copper sales.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Errors and varieties plus I do it for enjoyment not profit really. Wheats are fun to find and I make money off copper sales.
Yes at one time i did hunt for errors........I had my name and pictures of my coins in .. Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine back in May of 1970 they are part of Coin world..... But they were not worth any thing I got a letter from Coin World saying those pennies of mine were worth about ten cents.......

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
There's always the possibility of that big find that makes it all worth while. I search cents for wheats and for error/variety coins. Used to separate all the copper by hand but it was tying up too much of my CRHing funds. I get more satisfaction searching cents then any other denomination since halves have pretty much dried up around here.

MM2 is a perfect example of how cents can be profitable.

He found a 1955 double die the past year. Not sure on exact figure, but I am sure that 1 penny was worth over $1,000.

Enough said.

MU

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yes at one time i did hunt for errors........I had my name and pictures of my coins in .. Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine back in May of 1970 they are part of Coin world..... But they were not worth any thing I got a letter from Coin World saying those pennies of mine were worth about ten cents.......

I go for obvious errors like brockages. I found 2 rev brockages sold those for $100 each and also a capped die.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

If you still have them, I'd double check the values of those coins. Prices have occasionally been known to increase over a period of 43 years...

::)

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I do mostly cents and what I do is keep all copper, my friend that's also on here has sold 50$ and 100$ lots of copper cents for between 15-30$ profit at least. He's also found other errors worth about 200$ and we've both found some errors around 100-200$. Paying 1¢ for it and making the money off of errors is really worth it. Also weather you hoard the copper cents or sell them, you'll make money on them eventually, plus it's even easy if you do hoard them to just keep, being 1¢, I still have all the ones I've found and copper just sitting in my room. And like others have said, you find odd things in the rolls, I've found at least 15 -20 dimes in rolls and other country's cents as well. Sorry for the typos in this and things, trying to write it quickly and on my kindle.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you still have them, I'd double check the values of those coins. Prices have occasionally been known to increase over a period of 43 years...

::)
If i can find them that was a long time ago....

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Well Keppy would you believe...

• [*=3]1943 copper-alloy cent (just 40 of the coins created) was sold in 1958 for more than $40,000.
    [*=3]1943 copper-alloy cent (just 40 of the coins created) was sold in 1996 for more than $82,500.
    [*=3] 1943 copper-alloy cent (just 40 of the coins created) was sold recently for more than $1.7 million.
Now, if you really want to see a list - take a look at: 25 Most Valuable US Pennies
... Since you put that list up i have coffee cans full of pennies in the basement..... That i have not looked at for years ..... I will have to check them out...

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
keppy, dont forget about ol'fiddy if you find one. I sense good luck coming out of that can.
... 50 ...I need all the luck i can get and i hope it is good luck.......

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
I started with 1Cents :D For me it was a budget thing and the thrill of finding something older then my parents ;p And my grand parents lol. Got roughly 120lbs+ In Copper Cents. I've started going through dimes making my way up to halves when I make the money. I'm only 17, and I live on a farm so I bail hay and sometimes weld for people for a bit of money. Once summer hits that's when I'll start going through lots of Dimes and possibly Halves if I have the funds. The only problem with cents is they're a big space taker. Wish I could find someone to buy them for 1.6 each :(. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread