Pennies WHY ??

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
Some collect for copper, some are coin collectors and some its a budget thing. To each there own. I do all denominations. I am coin collector at heart. I hoard silver and copper. Copper pennies are worth about 2.5 cents each so it adds up. I have almost filled my penny books from 1909 to current with the a few key dates still To go. I also do this with my 2 boys. We have fun and that's all that counts.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Some collect for copper, some are coin collectors and some its a budget thing. To each there own. I do all denominations. I am coin collector at heart. I hoard silver and copper. Copper pennies are worth about 2.5 cents each so it adds up. I have almost filled my penny books from 1909 to current with the a few key dates still To go. I also do this with my 2 boys. We have fun and that's all that counts.
OK for you..:icon_thumleft:

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found a plastic "play money" dime in a roll of cents.........that is why I do it

I take the copper out and look for error coins.The error coins are much more work then rim searching for silver but I enjoy it am not in the least a collector..........I sell my error coins as fast as I find them.

I have done dimes and 1/2's and found one 40% Kennedy after searching 4 boxes.....did 2 boxes of dimes and skunked on both.I have yet to do a cent box that I haven't had a couple coins that I could sell to a CS right away.

Not everything is silver driven...........I buy silver but have more fun searching cents and selling the copper,wheats and error coins for a small profit.If I find a more rare error coin the profit margin goes way up and it is only a matter of time until I do.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different people have different reasons. For me, I'm a COIN collector not just a silver collector.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I don't under stand why you get rolls of pennies...
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Well Keppy would you believe...

• [*=3]1943 copper-alloy cent (just 40 of the coins created) was sold in 1958 for more than $40,000.
    [*=3]1943 copper-alloy cent (just 40 of the coins created) was sold in 1996 for more than $82,500.
    [*=3] 1943 copper-alloy cent (just 40 of the coins created) was sold recently for more than $1.7 million.
Now, if you really want to see a list - take a look at: 25 Most Valuable US Pennies

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
You get twice the return, better than a bank having a 50% savings interest rate its common sense

Kitco - Copper Charts and Graphs - Copper Prices - Copper Quotes, Cu, Industrial metals

Although copper dropped dramatically the past couple of days, a copper cent is still worth 2x as much as its current face value. $50 in copper cents = $100 cash. As demand goes up, and copper cents are allowed to be melted, more and more wheat cents be destroyed. as a result, wheat cents will skyrocket in value.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You get twice the return, better than a bank having a 50% savings interest rate its common sense

Kitco - Copper Charts and Graphs - Copper Prices - Copper Quotes, Cu, Industrial metals

Although copper dropped dramatically the past couple of days, a copper cent is still worth 2x as much as its current face value. $50 in copper cents = $100 cash. As demand goes up, and copper cents are allowed to be melted, more and more wheat cents be destroyed. as a result, wheat cents will skyrocket in value.

Tell me where you can sell copper cents for 2x face.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess on ebay,,..... I see that one person bought a roll of pennies with some dimes in it for $130.00.... sorry i meant a roll of cents ?????

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I consistently net $5 profit on eBay after fees and shipping for every $15 fv copper pennies sold. I keep all wheats, ih, etc. It helps pay for my copper stash, slowly but surely. Cent searching fends off any crh withdrawals. Plus I have found a silver dime and a 14k gold ring in cent bags before.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I consistently net $5 profit on eBay after fees and shipping for every $15 fv copper pennies sold. I keep all wheats, ih, etc. It helps pay for my copper stash, slowly but surely. Cent searching fends off any crh withdrawals. Plus I have found a silver dime and a 14k gold ring in cent bags before.
Yes you do have some return there.... That is all copper pennies you sell on ebay no clad ?

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a Ryedale and good volume what kind of money can you earn sorting through pennies? I've never considered it either.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
With a Ryedale and good volume what kind of money can you earn sorting through pennies? I've never considered it either.
I can't answer that ... But like you i never thought that pennies were worth my time... But i could be wrong...... As i see here.......Some do profit from pennies....

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's always the possibility of that big find that makes it all worth while. I search cents for wheats and for error/variety coins. Used to separate all the copper by hand but it was tying up too much of my CRHing funds. I get more satisfaction searching cents then any other denomination since halves have pretty much dried up around here.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There's always the possibility of that big find that makes it all worth while. I search cents for wheats and for error/variety coins. Used to separate all the copper by hand but it was tying up too much of my CRHing funds. I get more satisfaction searching cents then any other denomination since halves have pretty much dried up around here.
yes i just started in CRH this past winter and those silver coins are few.... Could be that pennies is the answer........

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I hunt cents. Some day she will be mine! I have found a '72 but the '69S has eluded me (and everyone else in the would but about 10-12 lucky people)!

Attachments

• image-3203180107.jpg
    image-3203180107.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 129

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread