A milestone reached

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I have been hoarding pre 1959 nickels for a long time now, but I have finally completed a FULL BOX, $100 worth of pre 1959 nickels. I know there isn't a great market for them, but what do you think I could get for these average-circulated nickels? I have 2,000 of them and they are just taking up space.

Please don't comment saying they are only worth 5 cents, or get off-topic.
Thanks
Buff

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Let us know what you get BuffaloBoy!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy! I'm excited to see where this goes. I have a zillion of them. Who wants to buy them?!?!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I have been hoarding pre 1959 nickels for a long time now, but I have finally completed a FULL BOX, $100 worth of pre 1959 nickels. I know there isn't a great market for them, but what do you think I could get for these average-circulated nickels? I have 2,000 of them and they are just taking up space.

Please don't comment saying they are only worth 5 cents, or get off-topic.
Thanks
Buff

Its so hard to predict at what amount something like this would/will sell. Common date, average condition pre-1960 Jefferson nickels are one of those things that several people collect but really have little "book value" over face value. If you list them on ebay, a bidding war might break out and they'll sell for over $300. Then again, you might list them with an opening bid of $150 and never receive a single bid. Neither of those scenarios, nor anything in between, would surprise me in the least.

To help answer your question BB, what would you pay for a box of nickels identical to your own? I suspect your answer wouldn't be much (if any) over face value. As you know, these coins can be found in the wild very easily.

With that said, it still doesn't predict if or for what amount your coins will sell. People are unpredictable. Many years ago I listed a used video cassette, without its protective sleeve, that I had picked up at a yard sale for 25 cents on ebay with a starting bid of $0.99 not even expecting it to sell. If I remember correctly, it sold for ~$30 and at the time you could buy a brand new one just like it all day for $14.95. As I said, people are unpredictable.

If the coins were mine, I'd list them at $200 and happily jump all over the first offer I received at $150+.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread